Scottish? long case.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Double post, sorry.

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I have a customer who just bought this clock. I would appreciate any comments on the clock's probable age and place of manufacturer.

Thanks & Merry Christmas, Willie

20181221_143302.jpg

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Listed as 1795, which is about right for the dial too. Scotch is a drink, or a mist.

(The place is on the signature, though both dial and movement could have come from Birmingham the signature gives you a town and name)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Thanks novice. Is that abbreviation the way the Scotish abbreviate 'George'?
Willie

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Thanks novice. Is that abbreviation the way the Scotish abbreviate 'George'?
Willie
Standard dial painter/engraver, I hadn't even noticed I'm so used to it! I think the more usual if Geo. but it all depends how much room you have.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
what does the second half of the motto say? The first bit is a common motto, we are nothing without God. Motto of the city of Edinburgh but auchtermuchty is in Fife.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
what does the second half of the motto say? The first bit is a common motto, we are nothing without God. Motto of the city of Edinburgh but auchtermuchty is in Fife.
It looks like "Merces virtutis" which is 'reward for valour' I think, it doesn't appear to be a motto to do with Auchtermuchty, the founders of the Proclaimers came from there, "Letter From America".

Anyway getting back to the dial it may be a Scottish made one as dial making there I understand started in Edinburgh in the late 18th C but if there is no maker's name on the back there is no real way to know for certain.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The second hand needs replacing, but you have an excellent template in the calendar hand. I like the hands, have very similar on my latest dial clock.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I have a customer who just bought this clock. I would appreciate any comments on the clock's probable age and place of manufacturer.

Thanks & Merry Christmas, Willie

View attachment 508236
What is interesting, to me, is the beautiful hand painted iconography on the dial.

The arched portion of the dial has what appears to be a coat of arms? A family's, a clan's? Some sort of organization (fraternal or lodge; a trade organization/guild?). Unfortunately, the top of the dial is cropped in the photo.

Hard to tell without more detailed photos, but to me the coat of arms appears to be replete with Masonic Symbols?

On the occupational side of things, there is a "Worshipful Company of Masons" with a coat of arms. Here it is:

CoatOfArms.png

Now, look at the central shield in the dial lunette. It is divided into 4 sections. Look at the upper section on the viewer's left. Look familiar? No, not identical, but close?

The vignettes in the spandrels are rather interesting, too, as they to me appear to depict stone masons at work? Again, it would be nice to see some close-ups. Another consideration is that folk art, including clock dials, depicting people engaged in occupations are rather unusual and rather desirable.

Much more to this dial than "date and id"? I think it is a rather nice potentially important piece different than the 100's of painted Scottish dials I have seen? Deserves some thought and research.

Love to see the rest of the clock, too.

RM

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
What is interesting, to me, is the beautiful hand painted iconography on the dial.

The arched portion of the dial has what appears to be a coat of arms? A family's, a clan's? Some sort of organization (fraternal or lodge; a trade organization/guild?). Unfortunately, the top of the dial is cropped in the photo.

Hard to tell without more detailed photos, but to me the coat of arms appears to be replete with Masonic Symbols?

On the occupational side of things, there is a "Worshipful Company of Masons" with a coat of arms. Here it is:

View attachment 508290

Now, look at the central shield in the dial lunette. It is divided into 4 sections. Look at the upper section on the viewer's left. Look familiar? No, not identical, but close?

The vignettes in the spandrels are rather interesting, too, as they to me appear to depict stone masons at work? Again, it would be nice to see some close-ups. Another consideration is that folk art, including clock dials, depicting people engaged in occupations are rather unusual and rather desirable.

Much more to this dial than "date and id"? I think it is a rather nice potentially important piece different than the 100's of painted Scottish dials I have seen? Deserves some thought and research.

Love to see the rest of the clock, too.

RM
I agree, it is very much masonic symbolism, including the crossed pillars at the base. I have not been able to track it down yet.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
The three castles with the calipers in the top left quadrant is a symbol found on the grand lodge in London.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supatint
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff