Schohl Crystal Cutting Machine

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Craig Niemann, Apr 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Craig Niemann

Craig Niemann Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Does anyone know where I could get operating instructions for this machine.

Thanks,
    Craig

2. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
  3. Craig Niemann

NAWCC Member

Sep 15, 2011
    No. It is like one that sold on eBay on 4/23/17. If you type in Schohl Crystal Cutting Machine and then look at sold listings it will come up. I'll try to take some pictures if I can remember how. The unit that sold had a model number of C USP5.325.840. Mine says B PAT.PEND. which probably means it was made before 1994 when the patent was granted.

4. Firegriff

Firegriff Registered User
    Donor

Feb 22, 2013
    I hope it came with all the parts for that price.

5. Craig Niemann

NAWCC Member

Sep 15, 2011
  6. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Sorry, don't know. I have a much older tool that is for cutting flat Crystals from acetate sheets. It resembles part of this machine.

I can't really shake the idea that one on the arms is a follower for the other. There doesn't seem to be a way of setting the diameter for the crystal to be cut. But if the two arms are linked you could mount the bezel or case on one side and have the other side cut a crystal to size by the rounded tip following the crystal recess. Just a thought.

7. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe Karl's description is exactly how it works. You mount the bezel on one side and it cuts an accurate reproduction out of acetate on the other side.

8. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day!

There is no question about it, that is exactly how it is supposed to work. A design advancement over the older type of hand operated tool.

Even the newer machines for cutting mineral glass follow the same principle, except that cutting is replaced by grinding using one of diamond impregnated wheels mounted in stack. Either a bezel, or a template, is mounted on a side which the machine will follow the shape of, circular or shaped, while grinding the blank, shaping it quickly and reducing it in size. During grinding process glass is cooled by a stream of water.

Opticians use machines based on the same principle for shaping glass lenses for spectacles, although the newest ones are microprocessor controlled.

Cheers

Dushan