• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

$ Schmutzler, Anton Vienna Regulator, ca. 1830s

mfraser

Jan 17, 2001
www.marksclockworks.com
Have been asked to value this for an estate. Single weight, porc or maybe marble dial, a stickynote suggested 8-10K. (Schmutzler was in Hungary.) Not much info on the web. All help appreciated / mark fraser in BC Ch121

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Mark, lacking pictures or any other information, I would have a hard time giving the clock 10% of what the sticky note says. Is it being appraised for insurance, as an auction estimate, or does one of the beneficiaries have a claim to it?

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Re: Photo of Schmutzler VR

From what I can see the dial doesn't look too good. Looks to be a lot of hairline cracks. We need to see photos of the movement. Is the movement marked as to maker? If not, how is it attributed to Schmutzler?

Claterbos, Viennese Clockmakers and What They Left Us, International B.V. Holland, 1979 Does not list a Schmutzler but does list a Schmutz, Anton, Working 1842 until about 1883. He was in the district of Neubau, at Halbg. 7 in 1838. Not there in 1883.

I can't actually read it (German) but something is mentioned about making pendulum mantel clocks.

Best,

Richard T.

Last edited:

mfraser

Jan 17, 2001
www.marksclockworks.com

Thank you. I'll try to convince them that a pic of the movement is needed. Skittish. Dial definitely has many hairlines, and the name Anton Schmutzler is quite clear. Note stated that the dial had been "restored" or "repaired". Must have been really bad before! Here's another citation, i think from a NAWCC thread:

Info on this maker (from Andreewitch): Schmutzler Antal (Anton) Györben (in Györ) Raab (HU), maker of wallclocks, 6.10.1832 master, Ignaz Schmid 1838 was his apprentice, both his sons (Hans and Franz) were clockmakers to, mentioned "Stadt 114".

Thanks for your help /mark

From what I can see the dial doesn't look too good. Looks to be a lot of hairline cracks. We need to see photos of the movement. Is the movement marked as to maker? If not, how is it attributed to Schmutzler?

Claterbos, Viennese Clockmakers and What They Left Us, International B.V. Holland, 1979 Does not list a Schmutzler but does list a Schmutz, Anton, Working 1842 until about 1883. He was in the district of Neubau, at Halbg. 7 in 1838. Not there in 1883.

I can't actually read it (German) but something is mentioned about making pendulum mantel clocks.

Best,

Richard T.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region

Thanks for posting the Hungarian reference.

I'm afraid that the value isn't going to be anything like that indicated on the sticky note. As we know, old doesn't always mean valuable. To have a value anywhere near that mentioned the clock would have to be in "mint" condition. That's not the case. I believe the value wouldn't be any more than 900 -$1000 on a "good day". The clocks that have the higher values are most often in pristine condition. I will search thru some of the past auction results and see if I can find a comparable clock and report the sale here.

I'm sure the heirs won't be happy with this kind of information.

Best,

Richard T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claude
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-