• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Schmeckenbecher Regula cuckoo clock

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
I was given this cuckoo clock today by a lady who heard I was collecting old clocks.

It's a Schmeckenbecher/Regula cuckoo clock and hasn't run for many years but is in near-new condition.

I don't know much about cuckoo clocks but it seems to be fundamentally sound. I moved the hands to just before the hour, then attached the weights and pendulum, held it up by hand and gently rocked it to swing the pendulum. It ticked and attempted to cuckoo and chime.

The back door is stamped 9 - 76 West Germany, so I assume this dates it as September 1976?

The movement has several stamps and I have not yet documented them all, except for Schmeckenbecher, Regula and 25/76.

I'm going to have plenty of questions about this one, but Ill post those in the repair forum when the time comes but I am interest to know what that wire coming off the left bellow (see pic). It doesn't appear to attach to anything. Does it just rock the bird? There's also a hook-like wire on the roof which seems to serve no purpose but does almost line up with a small hole in the back of the bird decoration.

cuckoo-regula-notop.jpg cuckoo-regula.jpg Cuckoo-movement.jpg Cuckoo-weird-wire.jpg Cuckoo-back.jpg Cuckoo-backdoor.jpg

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The wire lifts the bird's tail, giving it a rocking motion as the cuckoo sounds. The wire on the roof should attach to the case topper for security.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
When the bird rocks, you should notice the beak
open and close.
You are most likely right about the date.
Tinker Dwight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nrizzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent