schmeckenbecher grandfather clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ROADKING87, Oct 24, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ROADKING87

ROADKING87 New Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I have purchased a large grandfather clock that has "schmeckenbecher" written on the face of it, it is a large clock with curio shelves on either side of it, by looking at the construction of the case I would say it is rather old but unsure how old. I have scoured the internet looking for information about Schmeckenbecher but all I can find is information on cuckoo clocks. Can anyone help me out with any information about this with the limited information I have supplied?

Thank You

2. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have mantel Westminster clock, signed on the dial "Schmeckenbecher". The movement, with the floating balance, was made by FHS in 80'. Emil Schmeckenbecher company from Villingen was active in the period 1948 - 1996. They produced not only cuckoo clocks, but alarm, wall and mantel clocks too. In the year 1976 they sold about 4 million cockoo clocks with movements made by Josepf Burger, in 1977 they had about 200 workers (H.H. Schmid). Mr Schmeckenbecher died in 1988, and firma began to decline.

3. NDee

NDee New Member

Jan 13, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I have this same 'curio' clock, and we love displaying a pocket watch collection on the shelves. It works perfectly. The pendulum bob, however, has a huge, ugly dent in it. This string is old, but not as old as our clocks! Does anyone have any knowledge about whom could repair/replace this part?

bob.jpg

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

Your photo has so many reflections that I cannot see the dent you mention. However, it is often possible to remove,or at least improve, the appearance of such dents by smoothing them out from the back. It is necessary to take the pendulum bob apart to do this.

I can't see the whole pendulum but replacement pendulums for these modern clocks are available from clock material suppliers.

Better photos would help.

JTD