Schmeckenbecher cuckoo clock music box issues

Horological Neophyte

Oct 27, 2022
Country
I've been working on a Schmeckenbecher cuckoo clock and am having problems coordinating the movement lever and wire that restricts the fan until it's time for the music man to come out and play.
No matter what I do to adjust the wire or release/trigger arm/lever, the music man either does not come out or comes out too early.
It seems there needs to be a brief time after the music box is tripped before the music starts where the wire holds the fan until the lever releases after the cuckoo is done.
What usually happens is the lever pulls the wire to the governor, but releases again so fast the music doesn't start. If I adjust the wire to the fan the other way, it plays too early.
Something is wrong but I don't know what. Pictures attached. Any help is appreciated!

20230322_150751.jpg 20230322_150635.jpg

Mike Mall

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2021
Country
What usually happens is the lever pulls the wire to the governor, but releases again so fast the music doesn't start. If I adjust the wire to the fan the other way, it plays too early.
Are you saying that the lever falls back into the hole on the drum, if the fan is held?
I don't see the end of the drum, but usually there is a ramp that the lever falls on top of when it is first released.
Then it falls off the ramp and is guided back to the hole as it turns.
It should not fall back into the hole by itself, once it's lifted..

Horological Neophyte

Oct 27, 2022
Country
Are you saying that the lever falls back into the hole on the drum, if the fan is held?
I don't see the end of the drum, but usually there is a ramp that the lever falls on top of when it is first released.
Then it falls off the ramp and is guided back to the hole as it turns.
It should not fall back into the hole by itself, once it's lifted..
That's what happens...it falls back into the hole before the drum has a chance to start rolling. There is simply a hole in the drum...no ramp, etc.

20230322_232715.jpg 20230322_232911.jpg

Jeff T

Feb 10, 2018
Country
clean the grease off everything use light oil on the pivot points the eccentric is on the end of drum the lever must fall on there when its pulled out not back in hole make sure the end the goes in the hole is is square not worn at a angle causes it to slide up

Mike Mall

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2021
Country
It has the "ramp", one greasy little bugger.
The lever needs to be adjusted so it falls a little inboard of the hole, when released.
The lever should fall on the X , then fall off the ramp at the arrow, as the drum rotates.
The lever will then ride along the edge, and the eccentric will guide the lever into the next hole.

20230322_232911 (2).jpg

Mike Mall

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2021
Country
Also when it falls into the hole, that should not be what stops the mechanism.
It should only allow the part with the arrow, to interfere with the fan, and that's what stops it.
That can also be a tricky adjustment.
20230322_150751.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Is the spring in place. The '3 leg' leaver should always be under the tension of the spring when it does what Mike just mentioned.

Keep in mind, when the lever is pulled into the hole, that DOES NOT stop the MB. It pulls the little finger into the fan and that is what stops the MB.

In Mike's post #6, the just mentioned stop finger appears to be wrapped with some material. On this particular MB, I'm pretty sure the little stop spike is bare and should go metal to metal against the fan.

I would at least rinse the goop off that MB before proceeding and check for worn pivot holes.

Also, check the little plastic gear that drives the fan. On a MB that old, it may be cracked and the governor is likely worn enough to cause stoppages.

Willie X

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elenagilbertnr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit