Schlenker ü Posner Bandstand

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Hello all

I picked up this nice clock a couple of months ago. I’ve been looking for one for a long time. I haven’t done anything with it yet, other than set it up and let it run. It’s keeping fairly good time and hopefully I’ll get to cleaning, etc., pretty soon. Info about clock provided by former owner on yellow label.

Thanks for looking.
Rt

7400659D-7AFC-4FBC-8CC1-9B1DC8C8FF40.jpeg 4A187912-879E-47D9-904F-933BEEF5C085.jpeg 54AE4C39-128E-4906-8232-7BB03B48AF8A.jpeg 9866FDC6-8D0C-40B2-BDEE-2483ADDE2331.jpeg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Nice acquisition! The bandstand clocks have such a different presence. Your clock was built within the first couple of years of SuP production. I have a similar clock built near the end of the production...mine has a disc pendulum.

Kurt

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Thanks Kurt. I just noticed that the suspension spring looks like someone had some fun with it. I guess I’ll need to get that sorted out. :D

Thanks for checking out my clock.
Rt

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I've seen worse suspension springs...as you indicated it at least will run as is. Excess oil is evident on the lower portion of the back plate, so it could use some TLC.

Kurt

Reactions: instarclock

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Kurt, have you posted photos of your SuP disc pendulum before? Will appreciate seeing and documenting this clock.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Thanks, Eric. I think the back plate is similar to 1624...John had indicated in the past that the pallet inspection holes were missing from the diagram. Or maybe it could be 1524...without the logo.

I guess the 4-ball pendulum should be #37. I actually have an early 1930s Kundo with the #37 pendulum. I suppose I could swap the 4-ball for the disc so that the bandstand SuP would be "correct". Then I'd have a Kundo with a disk!! But then instead of two clocks being wrong, I'd only have one clock wrong.

That said, there's a problem with that given the weight of the pendulums. The disc pendulum for the bandstand weighs 13.2 oz while the #37 pendulum on the Kundo weighs 7.6 oz. So, I can't swap pendulums without also changing the suspension springs...currently both clocks keep reasonable time. I'm a little perplexed by the weight of the #37 pendulum on the Kundo. I have two other complete SuP clocks with correct pendulums...they both weigh 9.8/9.9 oz.

Kurt

Last edited:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Eric -

Since you have a good eye on these things, can you tell me who made the disc pendulum that is currently attached to my SuP bandstand clock? It would be nice to know somewhere down the line if I decide to make a switch.

Kurt

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Eric -

Since you have a good eye on these things, can you tell me who made the disc pendulum that is currently attached to my SuP bandstand clock? It would be nice to know somewhere down the line if I decide to make a switch.

Kurt
Hi Kurt,

In my original comment about that clock I said I thought it should have a 4-ball pendulum, but now I believe your disc is most likely an original SuP part. At the time I did not know they offered a disc pendulum which is shown in the reproduction SEPO catalog that we received as a supplement to the Torsion Times. Now, based on that picture and the SuP ball pendulums I own, I would say your disc is consistent with being made by SuP. First the hook matches my two #37 pendulums and my Schlenker/Kern pendulum (made from old SuP stock). Second the catalog picture shows a wide, thick washer or base to the column where the disc is attached to the top parts, your disc also has this feature. I know it's kind of sketchy and I have not seen another SuP disc to compare, but there you go.

Eric

Last edited:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Ah, I forgot about the SEPO catalog...also John gave a presentation on SuP clocks on the 2018 National. I basically thought my clock was similar to "CanadaF" No. 413F in the catalog. But the columns on my clock have a mid-span "bulb" of some sort...not like the pictures in the catalog which has columns that are fluted top to bottom.

But thanks for the reference to the fact that it really could be a factory part.

Kurt

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
I am not speaking with authority, but I think the columns from top to bottom and the ones with the part in the middle were used by many makers. I stand to be corrected.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ANTHONY LEWIS
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool