Schatz

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by clc, Mar 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi all.
    This clock came up for sale in my area, but being a newbie I have never heard of this maker.
    Seller says it's working.
    Any information would be helpful.
    Year made?
    Thanks

84574eeb5f224636be784e58fc0a109a (1).jpg 84574eeb5f224636be784e58fc0a109a.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pictures are not vey clear but the name on the dial is Schatz. What you have is a German ships bell clock. When you search for Schatz ships bell on this forum you will find multiple threads dealing with it. This is not the Schatz "Royal Mariner" but a slightly more simple version of the clock. The main difference between the two versions is the escapement that is better (a platform lever escapement) in the Royal Mariner. it is hard to tell when it was made, one would have too see the movement. It is not very old. Made maybe between 1960 and 1990 but without seeing the movement I could be wrong.

I hope this helps.

Uhralt

3. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Seller affirmed it's Lohartz .

Carlos

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    The seller is misreading the script. It is Schatz, as Uhralt has stated.

5. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    definitely schatz... you can comparison shop on ebay or by googling

All the clocks typically need to be cleaned every 3 to 5 years for best results… If this one hasn’t been touched since it was made that something to consider.

6. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired DDS. Likes Clock Teeth.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Carlos, this is a good moment to note that you should take anything an unknown Seller tells you with a healthy dose of salt. :chuckling:

7. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you all for the information.

Carlos

8. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I'm going to look at the clock tomorrow and need some advise as to what to look for.
    The seller says it's running.
    I'm including another photo that may help to assess its condition.
    Thanks,

Carlos

c23ff23914c64123b6c3926942cd5e73 (1).jpg

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    If the escapement is bad, and many of them are, the repair will not be easy or inexpensive. Willie X

10. Loubord

Loubord Registered User

Oct 22, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a Schatz from the '50, prior to the "Royal Mariner". I have two of those without the marine wheel, one is woking, and the other one has a pinion and a wheel broken. The parts forf the mouvement are very difficult to find. Those clocks have two hammers that strike a large bell many times a day, representing the mariner watches. William J. Bilger published a little booklet very useful to adjust such a clock : "Schatz Ship's Bell Clock - How to adjust" (2014). You will find the chart of the bells, and how to adjust it. Be careful, there is on the back of those clocks a screw that is used to silence the bells, which is not very practical.