Schatz W3

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by morgan0846, Feb 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. morgan0846

morgan0846 Registered User

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Can anyone please tell me what this strange device is on My Schatz W3 clock pendulum leader. Ive not come across it before and wondered if it had anything to do with time adjustment as the movement appears to gain 7 to 8 minutes a day with the pendulum bob in its lowest postion
    many thanks

20200215_134626_001.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When you mean the wheel behind the leader, this is for setting the beat of the clock. It will make the tick tock more even but will not slow down the clock. Are you sure you have the correct pendulum bob?

Uhralt

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not sure what "strange thing" you are looking at, but it all looks normal to me. The circular device (if that's what you mean) is a beat adjuster (See Beat Setting 101). By rotating the device, you adjust the orientation of the crutch and pendulum to set the beat.

If all the parts are original, perhaps the rating nut is upside down and you can get more length if you reverse it.

Tom

Edit: I see my post overlaps with Uhralt's.

4. morgan0846

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    many thanks chaps, I can see that now I managed to set it in beat without using that adjuster wheel, however as I have just aquired the clock I will look at the rating nut. just a thought if I adjust the crutch on the escape wheel lower it a little does this have the same effect of slowing down. as you can tell I am bit of a novice at this hobby but willing to learn.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, adjusting the crutch down will not have the desired effect. It is the effective length of the pendulum that makes the difference.

Uhralt

6. morgan0846

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi Uhralt,
    The suspension spring was changed if this was replaced with a slightly longer spring would this have the same effect as lengthening the pendulum.

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, a longer suspension spring will increase the effective length of the pendulum and will slow down the clock.

Uhralt

8. morgan0846

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Many thanks my friend, will have a go.

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't go too long. The crutch pin still needs to ride in the narrow slot of the leader, not the wider hole on top of it.

Uhralt

10. morgan0846

Apr 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Many thanks went there first of all and crutch pin ended up in the hole. New suspension spring now fitted and finally have it running beautifully
    Regards
    Morgan

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice. Glad I could help!

Uhralt