Schatz W3 Chime Alignment

bbwatch

Dec 25, 2002
After cleaning Schatz W3 movement, I tried to set up chime alignment. Can align to St. Michael's but then all other settings (silent, Whittington and Westminster) won't line up. Can't find any parts missing. Anyone have a parts diagram for this clock or an idea why I can't get the drum to line up correctly?

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
After cleaning Schatz W3 movement, I tried to set up chime alignment. Can align to St. Michael's but then all other settings (silent, Whittington and Westminster) won't line up. Can't find any parts missing. Anyone have a parts diagram for this clock or an idea why I can't get the drum to line up correctly?
Don’t know what a W3 movement is. Can you post photos?

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
There is a lengthy thread on the Schatz W3 and the chime barrel functions, but I can't remember how to link a post. Use the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in Schatz W3. It begins with, "Who's up on the Schatz W3."

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Triple chime movements can be touchy when it comes to synchronizing the chimes since most repairmen forget to check the alternative chimes besides Westminster. Try synchronizing it on the Whittington chime and see how it goes with all chimes afterwards.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
There is a lengthy thread on the Schatz W3 and the chime barrel functions, but I can't remember how to link a post. Use the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in Schatz W3. It begins with, "Who's up on the Schatz W3."
Can’t find it.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Typical mid-range German chime movement with really neat looking plates:

Schatz W3

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
That’s the one. Thanks for linking it, chimeclockfan. I’ve linked posts before, but can’t remember how I did it. I thought l used the chain link icon, but it just gives me an error message.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The NAWCC message board search engine always has been and always will be a dysfunctional nightmare. Not unlike the Schatz W3's chime silencer when incorrectly assembled. :whistle:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The chime barrel can't change. If you align on one 8 hammer tune, all of the others should line up too. If they don't, it has to be in the in/out setting on the drum. Those can be tricky to get right, but unless the drum was manufactured wrong (not likely) it has to be the case.

bbwatch

Dec 25, 2002
The chime barrel can't change. If you align on one 8 hammer tune, all of the others should line up too. If they don't, it has to be in the in/out setting on the drum. Those can be tricky to get right, but unless the drum was manufactured wrong (not likely) it has to be the case.

bbwatch

Dec 25, 2002
OK. I admit I'd never seen an adjustable chime drum before. Now that I have been able to get all three tunes to work, I still can't get the silencer lever to do anything. I still get the St. Michael tune. What am I missing? I looked at the earlier thread and don't quite understand what Mr. LaBounty is saying. Maybe he can clarify it with a picture.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Check out this thread Schatz Triple Chime Shutoff Near the bottom, there is a photo of the part that needs to be adjusted. Post #17. Perhaps possible to “start a conversation” with that poster. He may be able to tell you exactly what he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evocatas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre