Schatz Type 53 Loose Upper Supports

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by KurtinSA, May 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just started working on one of these. First time I've found that the two supports which tie into the hoop frame are a little loose. How can I tighten them? It's the hex shaped standoffs that are loose on the posts. I think they should be tighter to avoid looseness when in the frame allowing the movement to walk back and forth.

Kurt

PlateSupport.jpg

2. clksmyhobby

clksmyhobby Registered User

Jan 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired electronics/aviation technician
    Central Florida
    Country Flag:
    Hi Kurt,
    As I understand your query, the hex-shaped mount is loose on the post while the post is secure in the front plate. Hard to see how that could occur considering the pin driven through the post and mount.

Was there noticeable movement in the mechanism when the attaching bolts were installed before disassembly?

I have 2 of this type, ca 1953 and 1956. Both have totally secure mounts.

Mike

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thought I'd check...I mounted the front plate back onto the hoop frame with the two mounting screws...it seems pretty solid. Still, if there was an easy way to reduce the slop, I'd like to try. In the end, maybe it doesn't matter.

Kurt

4. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have a couple of those too and there very solidly mounted. When mounted in the arch it may stop the movement?

One of mine from an estate sale had taken a tumble sometime in its past and the arch was bent a good bit but the movement was held solid.

5. clksmyhobby

clksmyhobby Registered User

Jan 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired electronics/aviation technician
    Central Florida
    Country Flag:
    I agree. If the mounted mechanism seems secure, it should be good to go.

Perhaps someone in the past tried to force it on or off the arch, not holding it up against the arch while working the bolts, thus possibly deforming either the pin or hole through the post? Is the arch itself without any visible damage from dropping? If it is deformed enough the mounts would not line up and would have to be forced into alignment with the bolt.

This hobby is kind of like adopting a pet - you never know the history except when there is visible evidence.