Schatz ships bell clock

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
I have just purchased this ships clock which seems to be running well, and dinging well.
But do not know what I actually have. Most of the Schatz marine clocks state mariner on them.
As you can tell by the pictures this is an 8 day 7 jewel model, 24 hour dial. Marked Schatz Ships Bell.
I have not yet opened it up, as I have not yet had time to, but will do in the next short while.
Is this an early or a late one, the dial is only 3 1/4 " across.
Any info on this one would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

schatz marine clock 001.jpg schatz marine clock 003.jpg schatz marine clock 006.jpg schatz marine clock 002.jpg schatz marine clock 004.jpg

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Bill. I have a Schatz Royal Mariner, perhaps yours is a newer model than the one i have.From what i know the 7 jewels are in the platform escapement.

This movement may be the same one that you have in your clock.

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
Hi Bill
Some people call those Mini Mariners. I repaired one a couple months ago I think the date was 1974 (I'll have to see if I can find my notes on it to be sure), and exactly the movement Kevin posted above. With a tiny coil gong.
Nice little clocks my wife really liked the sound of the mini one over the larger ones.
Dan

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
I will likely open it up next week, if I can find the time, and will post pics when I do. Thanks for all your very useful information, both of you.
What I was wondering was all I could find was the Schatz Royal Mariner, could not even find a picture of the Schatz ships bell, but upon further checking I noted a Schatz and Sohne Ships Bell clock, with the same markings. So was thinking that that might be a later model, or what do I know possibly and earlier model, as I do not know when they might have joined to make these things. The barometer is also a Schatz. And do you know where I might find the front glass for these as they are both cracked ? Are these clocks collectable ?
Thanks again, and when I take it apart, there will likely be a marking on the movement.
Please forgive the really poor photos.
Bill

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I will likely open it up next week, if I can find the time, and will post pics when I do. Thanks for all your very useful information, both of you.
What I was wondering was all I could find was the Schatz Royal Mariner, could not even find a picture of the Schatz ships bell, but upon further checking I noted a Schatz and Sohne Ships Bell clock, with the same markings. So was thinking that that might be a later model, or what do I know possibly and earlier model, as I do not know when they might have joined to make these things. The barometer is also a Schatz. And do you know where I might find the front glass for these as they are both cracked ? Are these clocks collectable ?
Thanks again, and when I take it apart, there will likely be a marking on the movement.
Please forgive the really poor photos.
Bill
Timesavers sells round clock glass, both flat and convex. Replacing the barometer glass might be a challenge because it involves drilling a center hole for the adjustable hand. You will need a diamond bit or similar for that. If I were you I would purchase more than one glass in case it breaks during drilling.

Uhralt

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Perrin near Toronto might have a glass for your clock, since you do live in Canada, Far as collectible not sure, i like mine too. It needs work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeffbloz
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller