Schatz Royal Maritime insight

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bill Cann, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Cann

Bill Cann Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    New to the NAWCC forum. As a guest, I have gained some good diagnostic insight on numerous movements from members, but this Schatz has me stumped, so time to join up. I have reviewed a couple articles on the movement, but haven't broken the code.

Time and strike are "operating", but I can only get this movement to chime in pairs. On the half hour (odd chime count) the strike detent lever grabs the hammer tail AFTER the double strike. From the articles I have changed orientations of the snail, lock pin, gathering pallet, etc, looking for a hint at grabbing the lever earlier but nothing. Must be overlooking something.

Any insight is appreciated.
    Thanks, Bill

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    steven conover's 'striking clock repair' book has a section on ships bell clocks... including a schatz (although it might be a different model). he says the trick is to figure out how a ships bell clock achieves the single strike... once you understand that, you're good.

disciple_dan likes this.
  3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome, Bill! Post some pictures of what you're working on for us. Use the "FROM PC" button below the text input box.

4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the clock is assembled correctly, carefully repositioning the gathering pallet will usually get it working OK. If anyone has "messed" with it and bent any of the strike wires or levers then you have a challenge. Conover's book explains generally what has to happen but you really need to watch carefully, turning the fan one turn at a time, and you will be able to see when the second bell arrest lever moves into place (or why it is too late or early). On that detail, Conover's description isn't especially clear.

RC

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. Bill Cann

NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Thanks all for the input. I have read thru Conovers and Bilgers articles on the Schatz and they are good input. I need to make another pass thru, and also compare to the video.

7. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 R. Croswell, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019
    Try playing the second video that Shutterbug posted in slow motion. It clearly shows the arresting lever moving into position to catch the second bell drop before the hammer drops. Conover seems to be saying that this happens so quick that it is hard to see, but if you have the gathering pallet positioned correctly you should clearly see the arresting lever move into position before the hammer drops.

RC

8. Bill Cann

NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    #8 Bill Cann, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Just wanted to close out this thread and say thanks for all the input. The Schatz has been running well.

Still not sure what the final fix was. Over a couple weeks, I did some minor adjustments (gathering pallet, star wheel, hammer tail, etc), an exorcism, and placed a 5lb sledge hammer next to the test stand. Working like a champ now.

Bill

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think there’s a cam on the center shaft that lifts a lever attached to the strike arresting lever. Watch the Schatz video carefully and you will see it working on the half hr. Peter

11. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe Bill already has his Royal Mariner working but it may be helpful to take a look at how this contraption works to end the strike sequence with a single bell on the half hour. Peter is correct, there is a cam (shown in the picture) that positions one leg of a scissors-like lever. The gathering pallet brass part also serves as a cam that controls just when the rack hook drops. When the center shaft cam is in the half-hour position and the rack hook drops the scissors gizmo raises a hook that arrests the second bell hammer such that when it drops it cannot strike the bell. On the hour the center cam "opens the scissors" such that when the rack drops the arresting hook does not arrest the second bell hammer.

The critical adjustment is to position the gathering pallet such that the rack hook drops a moment before the second bell hammer drops on the half-hour. This allows the arresting hook to be in place before the hammer falls. It is important to not randomly start bending things in an effort to make one of these work. If nothing has been previously "messed with" the only adjustment required it usually the position of the gathering pallet, which is somewhat critical.

RC

bell-arrest-mechanism.jpg

12. Bill Cann

NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Thanks RC, the movement came with some "modifications". Adjusting the gathering pallet was the major issue. I have articles by Conover and Bilger that were helpful, but comparing snaps from the video to the movement highlighted the pallet position. Dang! Lots of things happening very quickly, all at once, on this movement.

Bill

13. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, but it’s a reliable design and fairly simple to setup if you understand it. Peter

SmithyMoarra likes this.