Schatz Midget pin pallet

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Wayne A, Oct 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like miniature 400day clocks primarly but found this Schatz midget I really liked. Looks like its plate 1013B, a pin pallet unit, only its missing the pins as in there not there at all, not broken but gone! Looking at the sockets it appears they may be tapered because the rear of the socket is much smaller. Maybe the result of a past repair attempt? Or perhaps that rear hole was an access just to press them out? Really want to get this clock running but have no idea how to source the pins.

20191019_233023.jpg 20191019_234812.jpg 20191019_234840.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pins will be pivot wire, not tapered. They should be a tight press in fit to the holes you have, and long enough to engage the wheel. That will give you a starting point, and see how it runs.
    Alternately, you could try sourcing a donor movement.

3. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Was hoping someone knew the proper size wire for it in case the holes were reamed. I'll get an a wire assortment and see what fits. I'd estimate the sockets are .02**. Would prefer to repair it because that's just one of the attractions to this hobby, repairing machines. Failing a repair looking for a replacement would be the next choice.

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. victor miranda

victor miranda Registered User

Jan 13, 2017
    computer programming stuff
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I used music wire for the pins.as my clock had flattened grooves into the pins.
    my memory is that I used .020 from k&s.

they didn't really press in? more like pressing a sewing needle into a 4 layer seam.
    think hand pressed, the hole was tapered and I didn't trust it,
    so I used red loc-tite ( it says high strength) to be sure the pins stayed.

last time I saw the clock, it was swinging...

Kevin W. likes this.
  5. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Victor, it looks like someone had attempted a repair on mine at one time since both pin's are missing and under magnification I noticed traces of red loctite on the pivot shaft by the anchor. Loctite threadlocker in open air never hardens but turns very thick. Going to setup the ultrasonic cleaner tomorrow for another clock and I'll clean this part then check the sockets size with number drill shaft.

6. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 etmb61, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    The pallet pins on my JUM/7 measure 0.25mm or 0.010". Hobby Lobby sells music wire that small in an assortment for about $8. I can't say how good it would work.

Eric

7. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What about a pack of needles?

Kurt

8. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Humm, the wife has allot of needles.

9. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, thats a place to start fit testing and hobby lobby is very close. Just tried a .022 drill and its to big.

10. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  11. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wayne, I don't have a miniature Schatz to measure the pins but I have a miniature Kundo that is a pin pallet escapement. The pins on it measure .012". For more info and reading see this thread.

12. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Smallest needle or piano wire I could find in town was .15 which is still too large. Ran the part though the ultrasonic today and its always impressive how well it can clean. Can clearly see the sockets are rather odd looking, the entrance is much wider than the rear. Looks reamed out but there identical so probably not reamed. Ordered a smaller assortment of beading needles that go down to .010.

20191022_173544.jpg

13. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #13 KurtinSA, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    I have an old beat up pin pallet anchor. The pins seem to vary in size. One is 0.0012" while the other is 0.0015". Plus, the pins protrude out the back side...seems to be soldered, maybe glued, in place. I can't say if this is stock from the factory...don't know what clock it might have come from. But the anchor part is similar to your picture. This thing is pretty rough.

Kurt

14. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have used polished guitar stings for small sizes. ​

15. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is so little material at the right pin size I'm thinking I may have to solder the pins in as well.

16. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harry, that might be close to the Schatz's. That smaller throat section must be .01 -.012.

17. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John Hubby goes over pin pallets replacement in post #4 of this discussion -Bent pallet pin JUM/7. Tried to link it, but it didn’t work. I have a midget Schatz. Will try to measure pallets and post.

Wayne A likes this.
  18. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tracerjack, Now that looks helpful!
    Kinda makes sense why the holes are tapered, your supposed to shove the needle into there point first. Now which size needle, try a few I guess.

Bent pallet pin JUM/7

19. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pallet size is pretty critical to good function. Needles aren't a bad idea. They are already polished, and hardened. Hopefully you'll get the size you need from tracerjack.

20. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Spoke too soon. I have a Schatz midget missing one pin pallet that I haven’t got around to yet. I get it down, and discover I have already removed the verge and put it - somewhere. It’s got to be in a small box and most likely will turn up when I am looking for something else. Very sorry to have gotten your hopes up. Will keep looking, but don’t hold your breath. Bugging the heck out of me now that I know I can’t find it.

21. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just to try an determine the size of the pallet socket I sanded down a .015 piano wire to .10 and it seems to fit. The wire was very brittle and I'm not planning on using it. Do have a couple sizes of beading needles on the way which are .010 and .012 so hopefully they work. Would like to see a picture of a verge that's stock, still think its shape of the sockets on mine is odd.

22. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have apart a Kern midget right now. The pin pallets are .28mm or .011 decimal inch. Different maker, I realize, but seems to be the size you think goes in the Schatz. Still cleaning it, so if you want measurements of the EW and tooth count to see if they match up with the Schatz, let me know.

23. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a few of those, I just took the pallet out of one, the pins are just under .010" the divots on the front side of the pallet are on this one as well, heres a couple pictures and the clock they're from.
    Dan

15723113936834805420065808239888.jpg 15723114802008222432487741909733.jpg 15723115211657832958307851411450.jpg

Kevin W. and Wayne A like this.
  24. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Dan! That confirms my clock is not in an altered state. I had ordered some .010 (#15) beading needles off Amazilla but did not notice there coming from England, its not a popular size I guess. Anyway they should be here in another week.
    Wayne

Kevin W. likes this.
  25. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Finally received the .01" beading needles I had ordered and there very nice and springy much less brittle than the piano wire I had sanded down. First brand of needles claimed to be size 15 but were not, ended up with John James needles which were right at .01 as advertised. Still had so sand down the tips a bit before inserting into the anchor that just must be just under .01".

Clock is running well and keeping time! Not allot of rotation though, 230deg but has nearly 30deg of over swing. Seems like I read these units don't have allot of rotation. Thanks everyone who helped me figure out what size pin's I needed, really happy to see this little clock running.

20191107_164807.jpg 20191107_165033.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.
  26. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice! And you got the pendulum painted as well! Do you have any pictures of the needles installed on the anchor?

Kurt

27. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not very good pictures, was hurrying along to see it run and did not take a picture out of the clock. I heated the anchor while pushing in the needles, kinda smoked one a bit but its still springy so left it. There a bit longer than they needed to be but its not hitting anything. The pins are so tiny I have been holding the escape wheel with a finger tip when ever I adjust the time just to keep that load off them.

Oh the pendulum was already painted when I received the clock. Just waxed it up is all.

20191107_112413.jpg

28. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice. I also like the painted pendulum. Like you, I was impressed by the quality of the John James needles that I ordered. You have inspired me to find my misplaced verge and fix it.

Wayne A likes this.
  29. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can increase the total swing by raising the fork a little. But go slow because that also decreases over swing. I'm guessing you could go 2mm with no issues.

30. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We hear this a lot that raising the fork increases rotation at the expense of over swing...and vice versa. I certainly understand why this happens. Is there any standard for how much the rotation increases versus the reduction in over swing? Is it one degree for one degree? Is there any direct relationship or are there too many variables to really say what the effect is going to be?

Kurt

31. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Think I'm at 3.6mm at the moment and zero flutter detected, in fact I don't think it fluttered even with me taking the pendulum on and off. With the 12 beat pendulum its busy moving around even with the reduced rotation, so its still nice to watch. I set the locks like Rabushaka's book says right below the edge but was tempted to move it down hoping for a harder push. Really I'm happy with how its running and that spring loaded pendulum design is so easy to set to proper time with beat counter due to little to no dead band.

32. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Think some geometry may be in play here that affects the "gain". Distance between torsion spring and pin, height of fork above center of anchor pivot, rotation deg to drops, and probably some spring rate as well. Interesting it is.

33. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I imagine there is some mathematical equation involved, but I just go by what I see. I prefer a lot of rotation and just enough over swing to keep it going :)

Kevin W. likes this.
  34. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like allot of movement as well. Clock has been running a few days and rotation had crept up to 240deg over time. Today I moved the fork up from 3.6mm to 3mm. Also tweaked the locks a tiny bit while I was at it. Shotgunning so may changes makes it hard to know what had the most affect but the beat rate shifted faster by a good bit from these changes. After getting it regulated fairly closely by phone beat timer app its now turning 295deg,. Thats a big change.