Schatz Mariner

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by strangerthings, Mar 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. strangerthings

strangerthings Registered User

Jun 22, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I bought this set recently and it seems like the clock is over turned. Both key positions won’t turn and the clock won’t run. Any ideas? Thanks!

84C69B10-701B-4FF2-9B41-02324E2E5322.jpeg 6CFB1D8C-59CA-4F0E-902B-77B36E3C8DBC.jpeg 22467F4F-5C81-43C0-92B9-5EC2C94AE638.jpeg D70C2286-1D43-4C7B-91BB-1567139B045D.jpeg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i think you mean overwound... but you can't really overwind clocks. if you wind them too far, you break something... either the mainspring, the hook holding it, or (for weight driven clocks) the weight cord, etc.

my oft-stated rule of thumb is: if you don't know when it was last serviced, it needs it.

your clock might be fine, but with parts rusted or frozen in place. and, there might be other issues.

the only way to know for sure it to let down the mainspring(s), fully disassemble, clean, address all issues (pivots, pivot holes, inspect/clean/grease mainspring, clean again, reassembly, oil, test, etc.

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If its like mine, it has lots of wear and has not been serviced for a long time. Its not a easy clock to work on and the platform escapement will need to be cleaned and oiled for the clock to work. Over wound is a myth and clocks dont run when fully wound, then they need service. If you plan to let down the power your self. Read up on how to do it. Word of caution, dont hold the key with your hand.

4. strangerthings

Jun 22, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
  5. strangerthings

Jun 22, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    What is the on/off switch for? Also, I opened it up and I saw a part that was looking like it was sticking. I gave it a little push and it’s been ringing for about the past 5 minutes not stop. However, it seems like the ticking comes and goes.

6. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The on-off switch is to silence the bell. As the others have said, if it doesn't run it needs an overhaul. Mine will run about ten years between overhauls, so it's a good investment. Granted, mine has read 1:17 for the last two years - the mainspring broke while winding it, and my paying backlog is so long that I don't have time to fix it. (That's why only two of my nine clocks run right now. Sigh.)

Glen

7. strangerthings

Jun 22, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Copy, thank you

8. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some of these will tend to strike non stop if they are not supported in the proper 12 O'clock High position - If it is set up 12 high and it still strikes non stop then you will have to proceed with a full service. Whatever was stuck and you freed up is probably the issue and probably needs service regardless.