Schatz Marine clock crystal

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bill Manders, Dec 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Manders

Bill Manders Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just wondering how to remove the clip so as I can replace the crystal on this clock.
    See pictures,
    Thanks in advance,
    Bill

001.jpg 002.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pictures are not very clear but I believe it is a light friction fit. It should just pull out to the back unless somebody glued it in.

Uhralt

3. Bill Manders

NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Uhralt,
    Yes that is what I thought also, but either they have glued it in, or it has never been out, and is just stuck with years of residue .
    I think I will soak it in hot water for a bit and hope that loosens whatever might be holding it.
    Thanks,
    Bill

4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You might try placing the bezel in almost boiling water which should expand the bezel a bit which might help release the broken glass.

RC

5. Bill Manders

NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tried that, and unfortunately, the bezel remained. The bezel is so thin I have nothing to hook it with to pull up on.
    I have since broken the glass out completely,as I was hoping that would maybe give me a better chance of snagging the bezel, but as yet have not been able to do it.
    Thanks for the attempt, RC appreciate it. I will keep working on it.

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In case the clip has been glued in, heat might break the bond. You could try to put the complete bezel in a kitchen oven at about 350 degrees for some time. Alternatively you could use some solvent like acetone or carburetor cleaner to dissolve the glue. Use solvents of course without the oven.

Uhralt

7. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just a question. Are the clip and glass plastic? On the mini mariner I worked on last, the glass and the ring holding it in were both plastic and the ring was glued in

8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it is plastic, please don't bake it! I was assuming real glass and a metal bezel and clip.

Uhralt

9. Bill Manders

NAWCC Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Prince George
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Uhralt,
    The crystal was glass and the clip appears to be like aluminum, (it is some sort of metal ).
    I am still in a quandary about how to move the clip. I took it to a fabricator and he suggested that he could mill the clip out and make a new one, but the money to do that was more than I wanted to spend. Now I am sorry I broke the cracked glass out, but thought that the clip would not be a real problem.
    Bill

10. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you try heat? If everything is metal as you say, you could use a torch to heat it up and maybe break a glue bond. Or bake it as previously suggested. Before you do that, can you show a clear picture of how the bezel looks like from the front and from the back, without the glass? Is it possible that the glass should be inserted from the front?

Uhralt

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have never been happy with trying to remove and/or replace glass in bevels with heat. I don't have an alternate suggestion, and heat was the obvious original method of inserting glass into bezels. Water heated to boiling might work, but in my limited experience it was not hot enough to accomplish the task.

12. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If all of the above fail maybe you should try to mill it out yourself, or if you don't have a mill use a dremmel or if you can cut across it you may be able to lift the cut part high enough to get a good hold of it and pull it out. You can just putty the new glass in so no need to worry about the state of the clip.