Schatz electromechanical - not working?

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
I picked up this little Schatz electromechanical "carriage" clock at the auctions. I assumed it was mechanical - but it turns out to be electro. Oops.

It was running while on display and it was still running when I tucked it away (I stored it on its side for a month or two). It was gifted and unwrapped yesterday but is not running.

It had a AA battery in it (I think a C would be better). I tried a new battery but I don't know what should happen. Should I hear it wind up? Nothing seems to happen. Do I have to do anything after replacing the battery?

I also note that the hair-spring adjuster appears to have come adrift. I assume this shouldn't prevent it from running but will obviously affect the timing. If I can get it to wind and tick, I will see if I can repair that with a drop of epoxy.

IMG_5113.jpg IMG_5114.jpg IMG_5115.jpg IMG_5116.jpg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
These clocks need to run down until the solenoid contacts activate, which essentially winds the clock back up.
Many of them had D size batteries.
The regulator is bent and needs to be put back in original condition. It is only a slight bend to straighten it.
Try starting the clock by a sideways shake?

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
These clocks need to run down until the solenoid contacts activate, which essentially winds the clock back up.
Many of them had D size batteries.
The regulator is bent and needs to be put back in original condition. It is only a slight bend to straighten it.
Try starting the clock by a sideways shake?
Thanks for that. After a bit of fiddling and rocking, it appears to be running now.

The eye of the regulator is completely detached from the arm, so is now hanging from the bottom of the hair spring after a bit of manipulation. Earlier it was caught between two coils so was likely stopping the spring from doing its job. I guess it worked its way into an awkward position while it was running face down.

Obviously it will never keep time in this position but at least it is ticking and the solenoid is very clearly working with a new C cell.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
If you have the skill, The regulator can be reattached. It would require removing the balance wheel from the balance cock and all that. Which of course would allow you to remove the regulator from the hairspring and replace it onto the balance cock.
You will need the regulator to be attached so that it keeps time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent