Schatz 49 help needed

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by TexasTim, Jun 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TexasTim

TexasTim Registered User

Jan 5, 2010
    School Librarian
    Odessa, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 TexasTim, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    308008.jpg After church this morning, I ran by the Goodwill store and happened to spy three anniversary clocks in a basket just being put out on the shelf. Two were plastic but the Schatz was the model 49 and i picked it up for 14.99. The glass dome is perfect with no chips but I know it needs a new suspension spring. My pictures that i am posting are in as is condition with no clean up at all. I am hoping someone can help me figure out what I need to order. The suspension springs seem to come in many sizes so any help would be greatly appreciated. When I touch the top of the suspension the clock starts running and the hands start turning fast forward. Thanks in advance for your help! i can take more picture if you need some.

Tim : )
    Odessa. Texas

PS: I am still a beginner after a few years of being interested in antique clocks.

Attached Files:

2. Orgelbear

Orgelbear Registered User

Aug 14, 2006
    Male
    Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
    Lexington, NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

I believe, if memory serves me correct, that you'll need a #6789 unit. I recommend (unsolicited) that you contact Chris Nimon's fine company here: http://stores.thehorolovarcompany.com/suspension-units I've had great results from Mr. Nimon.

Peace,

Kelly Newsome

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris is an excellent resource - you may also need the top and bottom blocks and the fork - he sells just the springs or the complete unit ready to install

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll add that you should not get complete units anywhere else. They use the wrong width springs, and the clock will run fast.
    BTW, do you have the pendulum?