MLSchlot

NAWCC Business
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2001
Fairhope, Alabama
thesandsoftime.biz
Country
Region
I have a Schatz 11 jewel "Royal Mariner" I recently completed which has an annoying problem in the strike train. The clock strikes all the ship's bell sequences correctly at the hour and 1/2 hour. However, at 8 minutes before the top-of-the-hour the hammer will strike the bell when the centershaft cam combines with release of the feather spring, allowing the ledge to drop out from under the hammer arm in preparation for striking the hour.

I've scratched my head for quite a while now, trying to figure out how to defy gravity and let the hammer down gently enough that you can't hear the bell. Viewing from the rear of the movement, the hammer hangs down the right side and hits the inside of the bell at the 3 o'clock position. I posted photos so you can see the hammer parked on the ledge after striking the 1/2 hour "odd" count. The 2nd photo shows the hammer after the ledge is almost ready to slide out from under the hammer arm. The 3rd photo shows the hammer at rest following an even count strike operation.

I don't see any way to let the hammer down quietly. Other round "Royal Mariner" movements I've seen in photos have the hammer positioned horizontally across the top of the movement. In this configuration the outside of the bell is struck rather than the inside of the bell. Is the problem somehow avoided in that hammer configuration?

RoyalMariner2.jpg RoyalMariner3.jpg RoyalMariner1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meum
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-