Saved this clock from Goodwill for $25, any information greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by willtexas, Sep 13, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. willtexas

willtexas Registered User

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I felt this did not belong on the shelf at Goodwill, so I got it not expecting it to run. Not only does it run, but it is accurate. It is missing the key and 3 wood finials (not sure if this is the correct term) on the bottom. I am interested to learn the maker or at least country of origin if possible, age and some suggestions on where I can obtain the missing parts to bring it back to a better condition. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am fixing it to keep and cheerish, not to sell. I feel lucky to have it regardless of what it is, it will just be easier to fix if I know. Thanks for looking and replying!

Attached Files:

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Burkhard Rasch, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    It looks german,ca. 1880-1900,certainly before WWI.It's a spring driven time ony "regulator",sometimes called R&A per the both letters often found on an enamel plaque on the pendulum bob.For finials and a decorative embelishment on top look into the cathalogues of the usual suppliers,especialy germans such as Selva,also for a correct pendulum.Sometimes these parts appear used on evilbay.
    It will be a nice clock when restored,and the price is a steal! Congrats!
    Burkhard

3. willtexas

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks so very much Burkhard Rasch! I figure it came out of a defunct clock shop and they parted a good deal of it out, like the pendulum and finials and maybe even the key. Fine with me, I will fix it. I have the best parts, case and movement, etc. One more quick question, Is there a way to tell it the top had embelishments or is it possilbe it was flat? The checkout girl asked me how old it was and I said 1900, not a bad guess! Thanks again!!

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You can look at t he top and see if there are any slots into which the top piece would have fitted. I am almost sure there would have been a fancy top piece - it looks a bit unbalanced without. There would probably have been two finials on the top corners and two more on the bottom corners. As Burkhard said, you can look at similar clocks on the internet and see what you can find. Then go to the Timesavers website and look at their catalog and you will find many wooden case parts (both finials and tops) that ought to give what you need.

The pendulum seems to have lost its front brass plate (or it might have had R&A on porcelain as Burkhard said) unless it's just been put on backwards and the 'best' side is the other side.........but that would probably be too much to hope for! Timesavers sell pendulum too.

If you take out the movement and post a photograph it may be possible to identify the maker. You have a very nice clock, well worth saving, and for that price, well........!!

JTD

5. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This model of case was popular in 70-80'. I have Becker (1886) in similar case, but I've seen Lenzkirch, Werner and other too.
    post-6402-0-52752300-1471639528.jpg

6. willtexas

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much for the information and resources JTD! I would love to know more about the movement as well, but it is running perfectly and I am hoping to keep it that way. I may be able to get images from the side that would help. There were 3 finials it would appear on the bottom left and right and then at the very bottom of the center. On top I am seeing one slot about 2 or 3 inches long dead center of the front. It is maybe 1/2 an inch wide. I do not see anything else on the top. As you guessed, the pendulum does appear to be missing the front plate and is not on backwards. You are right that would have been too much to hope for! Thanks again, now the search begins for the parts. I will post photos of anything else I can determine and definitely when it is restored. Is it possible to buy just the front plate of the pendulum?

7. willtexas

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Wow Tarant, great post! It is very close to the one on the left, except this one seems to be less ornate (of course most of it is missing). I will check out those names and see if I can find the model. I do not know much about clocks, but it reminded me of a Jurghens when I saw it. Now I have three names to work with. I really appreciate your help!

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, that slot is where the top piece fits in. Three holes for the bottom finials is also right, as the photo in Tarant's post.

The style of case was made by many, many, clock and case makers in the late 19th century and the only way you can tell the maker is by taking the movement out and photographing the back plate, which it probably has the maker's name or logo on it. Photos from the side would not help much.

No, you can't buy just the front plate of the pendulum bob. You could make one from thin sheet brass if you don't want to buy a complete bob. (The bob is the circular piece of the pendulum).

I should not spend time looking for names until you have looked at the back of the movement - otherwise you will probably find 'your' clock made by just about any of the late 19th century German firms.

JTD

9. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Willtexas,

Welcome to the message board!

A couple of other possible sources for parts:

If you have a clock repair shop close to you, it is possible they may have a period bob they may be willing to part with.

You can also try a local chapter meeting. You may find something in the mart.

And finally you might try Merritt's in Pennsylvania. If you give them a call, they might be able to help. They carry both new and period parts in some cases.

Walt

10. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Always pendulums and bobs on Ebay, just get the measurement right.

11. Douglas Ballard

Douglas Ballard Registered User

Dec 2, 2011
    Network Information Management/Computer Repair
    Alma, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a find, I should be so lucky! As others have posted, until you take the movement out of the case and look at the plates no one can give you a maker (and even then it may be unsigned).

12. willtexas

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for all the great responses! I have found it is impossible, as stated, to tell without looking at the back of the movement. I am still somewhat on the fence about taking it off, but I do not see how else to accurately restore it. I do see R&A pendulums on Ebay and will make sure measurements are accurate. Thanks again to all!

13. willtexas

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    #13 willtexas, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    My 5 year old son's spy mirror came to the rescue. Here is the result! Am I right this puts it at 1875?

Attached Files:

14. willtexas

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I have not been able to figure out the model yet and any help on that would be appreciated. I am not seeing a lot of R&A pendulums on these, are brass ones more accurate. I am also seeing variations in the serial numbers and years produced on several sites. I am guessing 1875-1878.

15. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    You are very lucky indeed! Lenzkirch is a very high quality producer and you have done very well for the outlay, quite apart from saving a very nice clock.

There is quite some disagreement among 'experts' as to the exact dating of Lenzkirch movements, but your estimate is in the right area. I doubt if you clock had a model name - this was not as common in Europe at that time as it was in USA.

JTD

16. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very similar clock produced by Bob Lorenz had catalogue name "No 4" ;) (ca 1876).
    post-6402-0-46631600-1348258206.jpg

17. willtexas

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the great info JTD. I was able to locate a Brass R&A DRP pendulum bob for it that looks to be about the right age. Now I have to work on the finials. I am still trying to find the right style and appropriate sizes. One more thing, I am trying my best to figure out the key size. Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Tarant, you are a lifesaver! I will use that as my pattern for getting the finials. It will be sharp!

18. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    these cases were produced by third party makers and offered to various firms to build their movements in and to sell it as "their" clock.
    Burkhard

19. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Keys are ordered by the size of the square. Measure yours with a digital caliper, and order accordingly from any parts supplier.

20. willtexas

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Burkhard and Shutterbug for your replies and the great information. So the case is basically just a vessel obtained by the actual maker of the movement to house the movement and decorate as they saw fit. Since there are 3 finials to be replaced on the bottom, I am probably going to seek a top with no less than 3 to provide balance. I think it would look nice if done as the one in the picture I have posted (Schlenker & Kienzle). I have similar ones done with various tops, I just feel that this style would give the clock nice balance. A scroll top like the one pictured by Tarant would definitely work as well, it just has a different feel. I would welcome opinions on what style top would be a best fit and can choose the finials accordingly. It may take some time, but will be well worth the effort. Now I have to get that key, it is still running and keeps time as well as my phone.

Attached Files:

21. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Only one top is right here ;).
    I found in my archive two Lenzkirch clocks, and one Becker:
    Lenzkirch230051.jpg Obraz 1 (6).jpg 170491858669.jpg

22. willtexas

Sep 13, 2016
    Country Flag:
    #22 willtexas, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Tarant you are the man! That is it!! I will restore it accordingly. Step one is complete, the correct pendulum is in the clock. Now if I can just find that top and the finials. If anyone sees them out there please let me know. I just noticed that that the first of the three clocks you posted has no finial on the bottom. Is that correct, or is it missing? Thanks to all for you help!!!

Attached Files: