saved from landfill

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
visited my clocksmithy today to bring him the freshly restored case of my "new" little Kienzle&Schwenker R&A clock,and recieved a new project in exchange:an old lady had given it to him before asking if he knew someone who could be interested in it,otherways she´d throw it in the dump.All bits and pieces are there,the movement is of high quality with a high gear count,fine pivots,dead beat anchor with adjustable pallets and thick plate.There is a serial number but no maker's mark inside or outside.Is it from the famous anonymous factory or can anybody id the movement?TIA for any help.(Don't know where to hang that one when it's done,but that´ll take some time anyway.
Best
Burkhard

DSCN2989.JPG DSCN2990.JPG DSCN2991.JPG DSCN2992.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Burkhard, what a wonderful find! Based on the anchor bridge design as well as the case, I would date this clock to first half 1880s. The movement design has most of the features of Carl Werner but also a couple others I have documented. Could you post a clear photo of the movement and gong support bracket? That might help. Also, is there a one or two-digit number stamped to the right of the serial number? That area is completely whited out by your flash.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Whatever happened to "no to landfill", well rescued Burkhard.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Wow, that's a lovely timepiece that will look fabulous when restored. Can't for the life of me understand why the previous owner was going to dump it. Unfortunately, this can happen as some clocks are considered too decadent for current tastes, which is a great shame. Well done for saving it! Looking at the movement I would also opt for Carl Werner, ca. 1880, as John Hubby said.
Regards.

Last edited:

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
John and all others,thanks for Your encouraging comments! Here are more pics as requested. The plates are square shaped 97x97mm and 2mm thick. On both plates in the left edge there is a batch number 18.
Does that mean anything to You?TIA
Burkhard

btw I know that I´ll have to do something about the woodworm!
B

Attachments

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Years ago, I got a call from a fellow in our local chapter and he told me he had gotten a call from the son of a party of whom he had serviced a clock. They told him that someone, across the alley from them, threw out a grandfather clock. He dragged it into his garage and called this fellow. My friend figured it was some modern junk and said he would come by during the week. The rescuer told him to pick it up that evening or it was going back in the alley. So he drove down to pick it up.

It turned out to be an English longcase. It was missing a twisted column, a foot, the weights, pendulum, hands, , otherwise mostly there. This fellow knew I was game to buy projects, so he called me and offered me the clock for an outrageous price. So I took a ride to his house to see what he had. It turned out the movement was missing the rack . After haggling we settled on a price, with the agreement he would tell me where the clock was gathered from.

Armed with the location of where the clock was located, I went there and rang the door bell. A man answered and he told me it was his mothers clock and I could call her for information. He did not know anything about the missing parts. I asked him if it was ok to rummage around his trash and he did not have a problem with that. I found the missing column and part of the foot in the trash and some other non-clock stuff.

There was a tag in the clock which showed it was sold my Marshall Field's, a high end Chicago store. They had a decent antiques department . After numerous calls to the phone number the man mentioned above, gave me for his mother, was never responded to.

I ended up selling the clock to another chapter member..... and he replaced the movement. I ended buying the original movement back from him and still have it....awaiting a rack to be made.

Ralph

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice find Burkhard, it would be a sad thing to see this nice clock just tossed in the garbage.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Burkhard, in the spirit of "saved clocks" here is one I picked up a few years ago in New Orleans at an NAWCC regional.

It was considered obsolete. and tossed into the garbage, back in the '20's. The stated date of the clocks is wrong and not sure how they determined it's locale origin.

273174.jpg 300543.jpg

Ralph 300543.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
My first wooden works clock, a Riley Whiting, was "donated" to me by someone who has cleaning out his fathers house and called me before throwing it in the garbage.

George Nelson

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Oct 5, 2007
Tennessee
Country
Region
Just one story to add here. One rainy day, I was driving to a customer's house to look at their front door situation. They needed a new one, and knew nothing about how to measure. As I pulled into their driveway, the owner was taking out the trash. On top of the container was the clock pictured below.

I asked about it, and he said it worked fine, but his wife hated it because it sounded so awful. They had inherited it from the wife's grandfather. Asking if I could have it, he took it out of the trash and handed it to me, saying "Good luck with your wife!" I just smiled and put it on the seat next to me. They apparently were not a sentimental family...

Upon inspection, the gong was loose, and a careful tightening brought it back to life. It now hangs in our kitchen. The movement by New Haven is a strong runner. As far as I can tell, the clock is 100% original. A nice freebie!

A bit of research on "White Fawn Biscuit" turned up little information. Apparently, they were a small company in business for about ten years. Interestingly, White Fawn Biscuit was a flour, not a finished baked product, although the George W. Young Bakery in Utica, NY did indeed furnish such. The name White Fawn never had the word 'flour' used in any advertising. Strange, huh?

Best to all,

George Nelson 300572.jpg

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Thanks everybody for their input, encouragement and stories.It is working again now! The case has had a hard life with one big fall at a time ; with no reasonable effort it could be made look as new,so I left the original dark mohagony finish,glued the pieces back and cleaned the case,also cared for the woodworms.The movement realy offered no problemms, nice quality,nothing damaged,no bushings needed,so besides a complete cleaning and lubing nothing was required here.
Any ideas about the maker?
Best
Burkhard 300902.jpg 300903.jpg 300904.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It looks lovely Burkhard - congratulations on your find and your work.

Who made it? I don't know, but the movement looks quite like a Carl Werner to me, but I'm not certain. The top of the case is unusual - at least to my eye, but it looks fine.

JTD

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Looks great......and a great save.

Rob

ballistarius

Oct 26, 2009
Bilbao, Basque Country
Country
Region
Good job, Burkhard!:coolsign:
The only time I've found a clock it was a Popo Japanese cuckoo, when I went to throw the garbage. Unfortunately, the metal scavengers had arrived earlier and smashed the case to get the brass movement. I left it where it was...:(

Aitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moneyrama
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff