Saunier's treatise on Jewels

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Repivot, Nov 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repivot

Repivot New Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    In Saunier's Treatise on Modern Horology, during the discussion on the cylinder escapement, in section 417 about jewelled holes, the last paragraph states "Our treatise on Jewels (published separately) enters into full details on this subject...." Is anyone aware of this publication being available? Here or abroad? English or French?

I am researching the use of jewel bearings prior to the adoption of synthetic jewels. Though innovated in the early 1700s, so far I haven't found any written material before Sherwood's work in 1892. If Saunier's work is available it might take us back to the 1860s. That would be nice.

Aside from Sherwood's and Higgenbotham's (1911) writings I have only been able to come up with an article published in the GIA's journal by Alvin Kleeb in spring 1954.

If anyone has any leads to information about this subject, they would be greatly appreciated.

Philip

2. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although Saunier's treatise does not give much detail on jeweling, his "The Watchmakers' Handbook" (1882) has nine pages on selecting and working precious stones for various jeweling needs (articles 203-216).

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Philip, and welcome to the forum,

If you can get hold of a copy, there was a good article on jewelling by Ian Greaves in the December 2014 issue, (Volume 35 Number 4), of Antiquarian Horology. It is available online but I'm afraid that route is only accessible by AHS members. You may be able to purchase a paper copy from the AHS secretary here.

Regards,

Graham

4. Repivot

Repivot New Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the reference Graham. I'm in pursuit of that issue right now.

Thanks also Jerry for the reminder. I do have Saunier's handbook and have read the jeweling portion, but forgot to reference that in my earlier post. It actually makes things more interesting because Saunier says in section 203 at the end of the first paragraph, "Where not otherwise stated, the information is taken from a work published by N. Dumontier." The footnote states L'art di travvailler les Pierres precieuses a l'Horologerie et de l'Optique, Paris 1843.

So........ there's another publication I would love to find. It would be nice to have copies of both Saudier's treatise and Dumotier's work. That would give me an additional perspective of how if anything morphed or changed from the 1840 through 1911, and document that.

Thanks for the conversation so far and again if you can offer any leads, I'd appreciate it.

Philip

5. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
  6. Repivot

Repivot New Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag: