Saturday was a truly good day

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by DR.K, Oct 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 DR.K, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Saturday was a truly good day horologically speaking for me. I attended an estate auction of compromised mostly of clocks and related materials. Many unique and rare examples; skeleton, swinger, a group of Vienna regulators, and French gilt clocks. I have enclose a couple of photos of my finds.
    IMG_0631.jpg IMG_0624.jpg IMG_0640.jpg IMG_0638.jpg
    If anyone has any information about the origin of either I would be interested

Love clocks, Jmeechie and NigelW like this.
  2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lenn,

Here is some information on your Vienna regulator with the name Franz Psihoda on the dial:

M & P Grand Sonnerie Vienna regulator

I do not recognize the trademark of the clock with the skeletonized dial, but perhaps someone will have some information. The clock is most likely French. I suppose that it could be Swiss, but French is more likely.

Both were good acquisitions!

Regards.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, it was I that wrote about Franz Psihoda in the post which new2clocks has linked you to. It would be good to see the back of the movement, which may have the maker's name or logo.

I agree with new2clocks about the other clock - I cannot recognise or find the logo on the back, but as he says, it is likely French.

It might have been better to have made two separate threads, one for each of your clocks, since the are so unrelated, for the benefit of future research.

JTD

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Two nice finds. The French clock with the cherub on a swing acting as the pendulum uses a modified from of anchor escapement with twin escape wheels which was patented by Farcot in 1862, examples have come up on the MB before.

5. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, the French is obviously Farcot. I found a link to a past thread, but unfortunately the pics are not visible. Maybe someone is able to make the pics reappear.
    Post Your Farcot Clocks Here

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, indeed. I am foolish, I was so concerned with the bird I didn't notice the rest. But I have never seen this bird on a Farcot before, though no doubt others have.

JTD

7. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #7 DR.K, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Thank you for your research. I have visited and read through the posting. All of the information can be found
    for the markings on my clock. I would like to see the serial number and its correlation to year chart that is written about. Sorry for the newbie double clock post research did not cross my mind

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Are you able to post a photo of the back plate of your Vienna clock (see post #3)?

JTD

9. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Managed to remove works in the Vienna regulator and snap a photo. Initials AS and 234 are the only marks I could find .

IMG_0651.jpg

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    If you could post a picture of the whole movement, there are those who can sometimes identify unsigned movements by the layout and appearance.

JTD

11. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Photo of mechanism. The double gong mechanism is unfamiliar territory in the manner it is implemented here. I am use to seeing the coils mounted to the back of the case.

Vienna Regulator.jpg

12. DR.K

DR.K Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Additional photos of the above works.

IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0672.jpg

13. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a Gebruder Resch Remember Vienna Weight Regulator that has the same setup for the gong, these were made in Austria, however not sure if they made the same setup in Germany, if not at least you may have a country to start looking at? Others will know more than me on this though.