Sangamo Special Hinged Case Question

cbritton

Mar 15, 2010
In the Complete Price Guide To Watches their is listing for the Sangamo Special 23J M#9-10 it says Sangamo Special HINGED case. Is this case just where the back is hinged. Does the front unscrew? I've seen on some old listings for Sangamo Specials where they have a triple case. What kind of case would this be listed as in the price guide? Thanks again guys for all the help.

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
the model 10 were factory cased in a wadsworth case with hinged bezel and screw off rear cover.

they had a patented bow and crown and the inside of the case is marked as such. it was later in the era before these cases were marked sangamo special.

the bow and crown are a specific shape, though there are two syles of crowns, flat bottom and the more common crown with angled top and bottom.

these cases were designed for the "thin" model 10 movements.

the model 9 sangamo specials were not usually (emphasis because there are a FEW exceptions) factory cased, but cased at the time of purchase in the choice of case.

this is an example of 'another' instance of confusing info in the price guide... possibly an intentional error as others are.

Do you 'like' edja ma ka shun ? :D follow this link to 'special projects' courtesy of Sam Kirk, Mike Chamelin, Robert Smothers, et al.

http://www.kirxklox.com/project/editorial_cms.php?id=2

cbritton

Mar 15, 2010
Thanks Terry,

I was trying to find an example of a hinged case yesterday. I searched Ebay and saw this watch http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260563106860&Category=31387&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

I didn't notice it until after I read your post, but I guess this what I've seen people refer to as a triple hinged case. It look likes a model 10 watch, but the two covers on the rear look hinged. I didn't notice the second cover at first. So is this just a more uncommon case or what? From your description Terry it sounds like what the price guide is calling the model 10 sangamo special hinged case it's a case with a screw off rear cover and hinged front.

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
not a model 10.... model 13

This is the "rigid' bow case introduced mid twenties, after the model 10's ended.

below are a few things to whet your whistle :)

credit to Robert Sweet for finding the patent info on the early case.

note the variant crown style.... the later crowns are tapered on top and bottom.

were u able to visit the link above? That is about the best info on Sangamo Specials you will find!!

Attachments

cbritton

Mar 15, 2010
Thanks for the help Terry!! I only got to skim the article. I didn't have access to a PC at the time and was trying to read the article on my iPhone. Thanks again for all the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fausto
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller