Samuel Terry 30 hour carved pillar and splat

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Raymond Rice, Feb 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is my latest acquisition, from a local auction this evening. A Samuel Terry 30 hour carved pillar and splat. It appears to have had a troubled past –the repair dates on the back of the dial are: 1883,1886,1887,1891,1892,1900, and 1940. Both the works and the case are marked “Repaired and refinished, Osborn Ayers, 7/1/1940”. There is a lot of “alligatoring” of the finish, but I suspect that the finish is not the original. The tablet was painted, and signed “A. Wathier, 1967, Oneonta” . (The 1940 census lists Angele Wathier, 41 yrs old as Head of household.) You might note that the tablet was installed with vintage 1967 glaziers points. The upper glass is original and has the hard red putty to attach the glass.

I have a question concerning two 3/4” dowel pins protruding from the bottom of the case –I haven't seen them before and I don't see any useful purpose. (I'm familiar with the dowel holes in the tops of OG clocks to facilitate packing/crating.) I haven't pulled the works yet, so I'm sure I'll have more questions after that.

Ray Rice, whats one more project, in Rifton?

P2090008.JPG P2090001.JPG P2090005.JPG P2090006.JPG P2090010.JPG P2090011.JPG P2090006.JPG P2090002.JPG P2090004.JPG

sylvester12 likes this.
  2. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I neglected to include a picture of the dowel pins in question.

P2090007.JPG

3. Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice clock. Looks alot like a Henry Terry 8 day wood works clock I am working on.

4. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now for an update: its a chilly, rainy day in the suburbs of Rifton and my bride went to a matinee with her girlfriend, so I finally pulled the works out of the Samuel Terry. I found that the time side has two gears with missing teeth --not a catastrophe, but a project for another day. But when I returned it to my "project" pile, I found another Samuel Terry --this one with a stenciled splat and painted columns. The case of this one is in pretty rough shape--backboard has water damage, paper is pretty well destroyed, homemade lead pendulum, key escutcheon has been veneered over,and some rather fanciful hands have been installed. The upside is that it has been running and striking right along. (I'm not sure where I acquired this one, but I'm sure it was very, very cheap.)

Now I intend to swap the movements (I believe they are identical) and bring the carved splat and column upstairs where I can enjoy it. I'm reasonably sure this cannibalism will cause the purists to be aghast.

(I have never gotten an answer as to why those dowels were placed in the base of the carved splat/column Samuel Terry.)

PA060010.JPG PA060011.JPG PA060012.JPG PA060013.JPG

5. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Raymond Rice asks;

(I have never gotten an answer as to why those dowels were placed in the base of the carved splat/column Samuel Terry.)

Those dowels were used to hold the clock case in its shipping container, usually 6 clocks per box for Terry I understand. The pegs/dowels fit into the wood sides of the shipping container, the feet were left off the case for shipping, that is perhaps why some fair number of these clocks have feet that were never glued into the case bottoms. There have been a couple of surviving shipping case found that serve to verify how the pegs were used. They should have been removed when the feet were installed but someone didn't read the instructions?

ballistarius likes this.
  6. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mystery solved! Thanks Jim.
    Ray

7. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Both pretty nice clocks. I kind of laughed when you said you found another in your project pile, like you had forgotten it was there. If so, I'd like to see what else is in your pile, lol.
    Don

gleber likes this.
  8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    OOOOOOO!! Is that a Wooton desk in the background??

Much, much more exciting than either clock!

If so, do something "superfluous" and post pix of it on this thread.

RM

9. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM, you've discerning eye! Its a "Queen Anne Pattern Standard Grade Wooton Patent Desk" Ca.1880-1884. I've ALWAYS wanted one, but I always came up a day late or a dollar short. I acquired this one from an auction house in Thomaston, Maine. I had to disassemble some of it to get it on my truck --this thing weighs about as much as an upright piano. Based on the original labels on the 40 file drawers I believe that this desk was last used in Cripple Creek, Colorado during the gold rush.

Because it's now my "working" desk, it's constantly in a state of disorder. (Mr. Wooton never dreamed of accommodating Laptops, phone chargers, etc., in his design). Tomorrow I'll tidy up and post a few pictures.
    Ray

Jim DuBois likes this.
  10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I don't care if it's tidy.

You know what they say. Neat desk = sick mindo_O

RM

11. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don, with the current extremely depressed clock prices, I tend to pick up anything that interests me, for "future projects". For example, I bought the second Samuel Terry, above, for less than the price of the weights. Will I ever have enough time to finish all these projects? Its highly doubtful --they will probably wind up in an estate sale, or worse, in a dumpster. Will that make any difference to me? No, like the song says: "I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time."Ray

woodlawndon likes this.
  12. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM, its still rainy and chilly, so its a good day for the "superfluous". In order to get the pictures, I decided to clear off my desk and start fresh. I even dusted it (first time ever), much to my brides glee. I have a couple of rules for the cleaning ladies: One: Don't toucha my clocks, Two: Don't toucha my desk. I also took a "before" picture showing its normal working environment.

PA060017.JPG PA060019.JPG PA060020.JPG PA060021.JPG PA060022.JPG PA060016.JPG PA060018.JPG

13. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    That is a very nice example of a Wooten, "The King of Desks" as they were called in the day.

Apparently they were made to order, about 150/year at their peak of production.

Thought folks might find this link interesting:

Woot Woot for the Wooton- The King of Desks - Historic Indianapolis | All Things Indianapolis History

Thanks for your superfluous posting.

RM

Raymond Rice likes this.
  14. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of our clock chums here in Houston has one of the "Extra" models in pristine condition. Most impressive! And pretty handy in some respects. Another clock buddy had one of the Wooten Rotary desks when he lived in Indianapolis. I have always been drawn to their practical uses in spite of being a bit put off by their bit over the top "Victorian exuberance".

Raymond Rice likes this.
  15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Couple of editorial and superfluous comments.

I find amongst many of my NE furniture dealer buddies a general prejudice against "Vicky" furniture. I too prefer the earlier stuff. What is cited is the lack of quality and craftsmanship.

However, pieces like the one here would tend to run counter to that opinion. A wonderfully complex and functional piece of furniture beautifully constructed from the choicest materials. Its production employed skilled craftsmanship and the then advanced technology of the time in the service of a creative vision and not to cheapen it. That's a distinction that those who argue in favor of collecting recent what I call used clocks just don't seem to get IMCO.

Vicky furniture can be interesting and bold. Makers like Hunzinger, Merklin, and so one are other examples. Please forgive the hijacking, but here are some examples that I have previously superfluously posted on the MB:

hunzinger 1a[1].JPG hunzinger lollipop.jpg hunzinger folding.jpg merklen 1.JPG merklen table.jpg

Honestly, I have to admit, not sure I would want a house full of this Addams Family type furniture, but I do like it and I think I understand it.

Around here, when it comes to this stuff, I'm very much a vox clamantis in deserto.

RM

PatH and Raymond Rice like this.
  16. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM, I certainly agree with you --I guess there just ain't no accounting for taste!
    Currently, there is definitely a prejudice against "brown" furniture in the auction markets, and I think some of this carries over to our beloved clocks. Left to my own devices, I would fill my house with Empire furniture. Would that make me a little "odd"? Yes, but certainly no more "odd" than having a house full of clocks!
    I am certainly enjoying the "down market" in prices of clocks that interest me. I guess I should be thankful that I can still sneak a few clocks (and a Wooton desk) past the watchful gaze of my darling bride.
    Ray Rice

17. dlb1052

dlb1052 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear Ray and others interested,
    Both clocks are beautiful. So is that incredible desk !! Thank you for sharing.
    Concerning the dowels on the bottom, I agree they were for packing, as I have two clocks where they have not been removed.
    I purchased a clock because it maintained an "unusual" top packing block. That in addition to other reasons. I would like to take the liberty of posting the photos for interest.
    The other reasons were obviously not for the tablet, as it is poor, but original. I liked the carvings as well as the label lists George Mitchell only unlike most I have seen that designate George Mitchell by "others", such as Atkins and Downs.

IMG_20191009_111516846.jpg IMG_20191009_110745544.jpg IMG_20191009_110905350.jpg

PatH, ballistarius and Jim DuBois like this.
  18. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great photo/documentation of the shipping bracket on your case top. And thanks for continuing to preserve it. It is the first such piece I have seen. I have seen some other approaches but have wondered precisely how the splats were preserved in shipping.

19. Tommy Thomas

Tommy Thomas Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Male
    Columbia, SC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, A very beautiful and interesting desk. I have never seen one before.

20. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have long had a question concerning 18th century American clock splats, and I guess this is as good a place as any to ask the question. What was the price differential in the selling price between a clock with a carved splat and columns, and a clock with a stenciled splat and plain painted columns?

In this specific case here are two clocks by Samuel Terry, one with carving, and one without. I believe that the handwork involved in producing the carving must have had a significant impact on the selling price.

An inquiring mind in Rifton,
    Ray Rice

21. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most all these clocks with splats are 19th century, i.e. usually 1820-1840+/- a bit.
    Here is some information regarding costs of carved parts;

Moses Waugh, a wagon maker who lived and worked in the Newfield section of Torrington, north and east of Cotton Hollow. Waugh was first engaged by Erastus Hodges in July 1831 to carve pineapples in mahogany, and after December 1832, to make pillars, scrolls, and carved feet. During 1831-33, Waugh delivered 548 pairs of mahogany pineapples to the clock shop for which he was paid five cents a pair, and also 100 sets of accessories consisting of a scroll, a pair of pillars, a pair of feet, and a pair of pineapples, at an agreed price of a dollar a set.

22. Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Jim! (I meant 19th century, but my fingers got me in trouble again!) My guess is a competent carver could make a decent wage at a dollar a set. The carved examples that I have look very well done.
    Ray Rice

Jim DuBois likes this.