Samuel Minchiner?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Allan C. Purcell, Mar 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought this little movement last week, and it arrived today. I bought it for a number of reasons, the main one though was the name on the watch and its size, only 35mm in diameter.

I had done some research, which amounted to looking through Brian Loomes books, but found nothing, so I dug a little deeper, and in Baillie, I found Willam Minchiner, London a1744. (Could he be the father of Samuel)?

Then in Britten, I found I think the maker Samuel Minchiner, c1810, longcase clock London.

This watch movement I would say was pre 1800. So I am asking for help on Samuel Minchiner.

Plus I would like all those who like ladies watches to tell me this could have been a ladies watch or was it a normal size for the period?

Allan

AAA-12.JPG AAA-15.JPG

AAA-14.JPG AAA-13.JPG

AAA-17.JPG Photographed with a 1949 Florin 24mm in diameter.

Rick Hufnagel and viclip like this.
  2. Lychnobius

Lychnobius Registered User

Aug 5, 2015
    Semi-retired designer & printer
    Redruth, Cornwall, UK
    Country Flag:
    I cannot add anything for certain, but it is hard to believe that this movement, with its deep calibre and baluster pillars, could be much later than 1770.

Oliver Mundy.

3. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Allan C. Purcell, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Oliver, I agree, though I need proof that Samuel was the son of William, I am still looking.

Just found in Moore´s;
    Minchiner William app.John Poole mas.Watch-maker, of The Strand, London,Mx, 3Mar 1743 to Dec,1746 15 GBP.

Minchiner Samuel son of William (deceased) app to Samuel Delafose mas. Clockmaker, Westminster, Mx,6 Jun, 1726,7 years 20 GBP. Will PM.

Allan.