English Sam Whalley Longcase

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Jim Randall, Dec 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Randall

Jim Randall Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    Looking for any information on theses clocks. Have my eye on what they are calling a Grandfather clock.
    Never heard of this maker. Right now it has been bacterized with a batt. movement but supposing comes with an "original" movement.
    Thanks in advance, Jim Randall #182792

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are 3 listed with the name Samuel Whalley, alI in Manchester, Lancashire, 18th C, believed to be father, son and grandson. Some pics as ever would be helpful.

3. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is also a Sampson Whalley in Newcastle Under Lyme Staffordshire 19th C
    Is Sam an abbreviation for Sampson?

4. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    Got these off the auction site.

clock pic 1.jpg clock pic 2.jpg clock pic 4.jpg clock pic 1.jpg clock pic 2.jpg clock pic 4.jpg c

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you load full size pics and let the site make thumbnails, those are impossible to see properly.

6. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    oh, btw, if this is actually for sale you are not allowed to have a thread about it, or have you bought it?

7. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pictures eliminate Sampson Whalley
    It was just a long shot based on ruling nothing in and nothing out until I know more

8. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    In the process of buying

clock pic 6.jpg

9. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    Let me rephrase that , in process of bringing it home

clock pic 2.jpg

10. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When you have it home take loads more pics and we can tell you about it.

11. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The dial has lost the quarter markers on the inside of the chapter ring but still retains half hour markers which date wise indicates it is not too much earlier or later than around 1750.

The name script on the dial indicates Samuel I, info listed on him 'At the Dyal in ye Hangingditch' Manchester, Lancs, married 1733, died 1744. I'd go for him.

12. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    As promised more pics any comment greatly received. I think it is pre 1800.
    Who ever put the electric in at least did not destroy anything.
    Will need to find a pendulum and suspension spring.

DSC01513.JPG DSC01515.JPG DSC01517.JPG DSC01518.JPG DSC01521.JPG DSC01520.JPG DSC01522.JPG DSC01523.JPG DSC01524.JPG DSC01528.JPG DSC01529.JPG DSC01536.JPG DSC01533.JPG

13. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All you appear to have lost is the weight (there is just one in lead) and the hands.

14. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 jmclaugh, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    You must be pleased it came with something other than a battery movement! It is a hour 30 movement so yes would have a single lead weight and the style of hands is obviously incorrect for the period, though I'm not sure what period they are correct for, they're just wrong. The movement pillar style is dated to after 1740 by Barder.

15. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the replies. Jmclaugh, I also have two weights (pictured) are you saying they do not go with the movement?

16. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a 30 hour clock, it needs one lead weight, and not as heavy as either of those two cast iron ones. Usually something around 3 kilos. It has a Huygens continuous loop system, so only one of the great wheels has a click. You pull down on one side of the chain supporting the lead doughnut (there to keep the chain on the sprocket teeth) . I always put my hand under the weight, but I don't take all the strain as the weight provides maintaining power during winding.

17. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The two weights you have are not a matching pair, one of them may well suffice to run what is a single weight movement but it should be about 6-9 lbs and you shouldn't use a heavier weight such as from a two weight longcase clock.

18. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again for the replies, I'll weigh the smaller weight. If it is not correct I think I can order a new one. I also have to get a pendulum.

19. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It may help to know If these clocks have a seconds dial then they would have a seconds pendulum, 39.1" length, that's a one second swing in each direction. As this clock doesn't then the pendulum length can vary but as long as you can shorten it you ought to be fine starting with one of those.

20. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    Merritt's has a complete pendulum, total length of 39" I will be ordering that. Also I weighted the smaller weight and it is 8.5 lbs.
    So I think I can start with that one.

21. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That weight is probably from a painted dial 30 hour (though a bit heavier than usual) so will be ok. Your clock would originally have had a lead weight not a cast iron one but that will do the job. English clocks were always massively over powered, if the movement is in good condition it should run happily on a fair bit less. I don't allow mine to strike so they run on about 3lb happily and for about 3 days, although I still wind them every day as it is easier.

22. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    Sorry to be late in updating my message. Got the pendulum minus the bob. ( backordered). But I have been playing with the clock some. If I move the minute hand it will strike. Also if I place the minute hand close to the hour and then move the crutch back and forth the minute hand will move and strike. Had to modify the suspension spring to fit in the crutch. Was thinking of putting some kind of weight in place of the bob just to see what would happen. Tried some sockets on the end of the rod with out the desired result. Then looked up the weight of the bob Merritt's says it is 40oz. much heavier than I was trying. What do you think, put something that heavy in place of the bob just to experiment?

23. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can get an old tupperware container, drill a hole in the bottom and top, slip it over the rod, put the retaining nut on and add lead fishing weights or the like or you can wait for the bob for a few months :mad:

24. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    Here is an update Sam is up and running ! Keeps pretty good time wound up using the pendulum I got from Merritt's had to alter the length and used I think the 9 pound weight. needs to be wound every day. But I really like this clock. Has a very mechanical sound while chiming. Thanks for all your input, sorry it took so long for the update. 20200616_100538_HDR.jpg 20200724_114912.jpg

25. Jim Randall

NAWCC Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Male
    retired but working PT
    Albany NY
    Country Flag:
    PS it has had some crude repairs but it does seem to run fine. It has been going a few months now

26. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad to hear it is up and running and daily winding is the chore with 30 hour clocks. Btw it strikes, it doesn't chime but yes there is a nice mechanical sound when the warning trips and then they strike and it's fun to watch the weight descend.

These clocks can keep very good time but you may have to adjust the nut at the base of the bob, up if slow, down if fast, as ever when doing so less is better.

27. oldcat61

oldcat61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 12, 2008
    South Jersey
    Would love to see more photos, especially details of the dial. Did you find the correct hands?