"Salox" luminous compound

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by D.th.munroe, May 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I dont have a Geiger counter or access to one yet, does anyone know if this stuff is radioactive?
    Thanks
    Dan.

1557697150021280958538.jpg

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    H Dan,

Judging by the packaging and especially the glass vials and corks, I think it's most probably from some years prior to the 1950s, so it would be prudent to assume that it does contain radium and treat it accordingly. With a half life of around 1,600 years and having radon gas as one of its decomposition products, I'd leave it unopened!

Regards,

Graham

3. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Graham
    I have been and will continue treating it as though it is radium. I have modern lume so I dont plan on opening or using it (the CNSC suggests to not even store it in living areas in those quantities) The small vial in the back thats not "salox" brand is radium and says "radioactive compound #12" dated 9.4.46.
    Dan

4. Dushan Grujich

Dushan Grujich Registered User

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day Dan!

Perhaps You can still check it for radioactivity without use of the Geiger counter. If You can still buy B&W film for 35 mm camera and have it processed, You can have a confirmation one way or another. If the film comes back exposed, it is radioactive. It will work even if the can is metal. It is worth paying few bucks just to make sure.

Cheers, Dushan

5. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Dushan
    Thats a great idea, I know where I can get B&W film (my grandfather was a camera guy) but not sure if anyone can process it around here anymore.
    Dan

6. Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day Dan!

Perhaps You can try at your dentist's or at the radiologist's at the closest health centre.

Cheers, Dushan

7. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most places that are readily available and do still develop film won't return your negatives.
    It might be better to just do it yourself. It's not like you're looking to get real pictures or anything.
    For developer, you can mix up a super strong instant coffee bath with a couple of tablespoons of washing soda (not baking soda)
    8-10,000 mg of vitamin C in lieu of the coffee can be used, as well. Let the film soak for a half hour
    For stopping, transfer the film to a mild concentration of vinegar and water and agitate for a minute
    For a fixer (Not sure why you'd want to bother) make a strong saltwater solution.

Were I trying this, I'd extract a foot or so of film into a black film canister in a dark room, expose that to your Salox and then develop that strip along with another foot of film pulled off the roll without having been exposed to anything. To be sure the process works, pull the remainder of the film out in a lighted room and develop it with the other two strips.

8. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    As it will have to be disposed off as low-level radioactive waste, should it contain Ra, I would take to the nearest hazardous waste collection point. They are equipped for such cases. I gather such thing exists in Canada as well. If you can't find anything, I can ask a friend, who worked in this field in Ontario.

9. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, Dushan!

You say that places that develop film no longer return negatives.

I am surprised to hear this. When did this start happening? I was under the impression that negatives are my property, and must therefore be returned to me, though they can, of course, be withheld pending payment for processing services. Prints, on the other hand, remain the property of the laboratory until they are paid for. I am curious as to when the change took place, having been in the photofinishing business more than four decades ago.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

10. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks guys.

It's been so long since I had film developed I don't remember if there was negatives returned.
    As for disposing of the radium I know the CNSC (Canadian Nuclear Safty Commission) has a program - HARP for free collection and disposing of radioluminescent devices, dials and paint.
    They also apparently require and issue licensing to technicians who service and possibly remove and replace the paint or deal with it.
    I will be talking with someone from there soon about the one vial for sure.

11. Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day Tim!

The origin of the statement can be located in the quote above, and I am afraid that it was not I who said that.

Of course, I agree with You, without exception. I wonder what is the explanation the processing places give to the customer, hopefully it is not another "pollution" issue.

Cheers, Dushan

12. Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Bondi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    G'Day Dan!

I have all of my negatives returned to me that were ever processed outside of my own place. Withholding negatives is a news to me, as well as it could be a kind of infringement of the copyright law. Apparently there are too many wackos in this world.

Cheers, Dushan

13. wefalck

wefalck Registered User

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Paris
    Country Flag:
    Negatives are your property, full stop.

I gather some places offer to retain them for you, in case you want more prints, but this is an optional service.

14. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  15. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, all!

Sorry, Dushan, for misattributing the quote. I actually tried to "Reply with Quote" from Martin's post, but something got screwed up and I didn't get the quote I highlighted. Then, in trying to fix that, I named you as the originator.

I've read Martin's citation, and frankly, it is pretty astonishing to me. Of course, hardly anyone shoots film these days, but the cavalier treatment of other people's property is pretty shocking. With black-and-white film, they would, at least, be retaining a tiny amount of silver with each set of negatives. All color processes now remove almost all of the silver in the process, so it can be recovered from the bleach-fix. I suppose one could argue that there's a little extra profit in keeping black-and-white negs, but it can't be a lot.

Best regards!

Tim

16. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all.
    Just an update incase anyone else happens to be looking.
    With the film and then later I found an app for smart phones (called gammapix was 4.99) that uses the camera in the same way the film was used, by covering the lens, I used black electrical tape, and exposing the camera to the sample and it does appear to work
    The "salox" appears to not be radioactive with film or app, while some of my old known radium watches, aircraft clocks and other instruments show positive and with the vial of radium at about 2cm away my phone told me it was unsafe levels and to move away if safe, max exposure 1-5 days per year. Obviously 2cm is a lot closer than you would want to be to a vial of radioluminescent powder.
    Thanks Dan