Salem Triple Chime Clock Germany

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Jillanne, Mar 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jillanne

Jillanne New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    I have just purchased a clock by Salem. It is a triple chime clock. I am trying to find out more about it. There are clocks just like it on the internet but made by Schatz and Sohne. This one is identical to those but even the works is stamped Salem Clock Company Germany. Does anyone have any information about this Clock?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

I believe the Salem Clock Co. was in Hartford, Conn. and dealt in imported clocks with German movements. You are right that your movement was made by Schatz, just stamped with Salem Clock Co. (I know it says 'Germany' but I don't think that this meant that Salem Clock was ever physically in Germany, just that it was a German movement).

Many clock manufacturers were happy to 'customise' their movements with the name of the firm that was importing/distributing them. If you search the mb (use the little magnifying glass icon) you will see that Salem triple chime clocks were indeed made by Schatz and supplied to Salem.

It's a nice clock and good to have a selection of 3 chimes.

Hope this helps - others may know more.

JTD

3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jillanne,and wellcome to this message board.Your clock has the famous W3 movement made by the GUFA (Gütenbacher Uhrenfabrik) in the black forest region of Germany,under the direction of Charles Schatz,a relative to August Schatz and his sons,owners of the Jahresuhrenfabrik Aug,Schatz&Söhne.This movement was developed from the W1 movement from the same manufacturer in the early 50ies.The W1 was a movement with a short pendulum while the verry first W3 had a 4 jewel platform escapement made by either Schatzn or GUFA themselves,later ones had swiss 7 jewel platforms and the last ones had 11 jewel platforms.In Germany the movements were marketed under the Schatz name since they had gained a good reputation allready with their anniversary clocks and others,the movement was sold to different firms outside Germany,e.g. Warmink in the Netherlands who put it into their nicely made bracket clock cases and sold it unger their name WUBA .The case of Your clock was made by Aug. Schatz and originaly supposed to contain their top of the line anniversary clock,the 1000 day clock-hence the crown on top.With little modification this case was used to house other movements,too.
    A good quality clock with nice chimes,congrats!
    Burkhard

4. Jillanne

Jillanne New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much for this wealth of information! This is amazing!

5. Jillanne

Jillanne New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. This is very helpful!

6. JohnCarocci

JohnCarocci New Member

Feb 19, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I don't have much information but I had to comment. My grandparents had this very clock, which my uncle brought back from Germany when he was in the Navy. I can't tell you how much time I used to spend staring at it. I was fascinated, and when it chimed, well, that was just the most amazing thing to me. When my grandparents passed away my uncle took the clock back, and as far as I know he still has it. I always want to ask about it but I don't want anyone to think I want him to give it to me. Silly, I know. Enjoy your find!

7. dalesr

dalesr Registered User

Jan 4, 2009
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    I acquired a Schatz and Sohne W3 7 jewel triple chime clock and the silent mode for this mantle clock does not work. All of the other chimes work fine (St.Mich, Whitting,Westm). The silent mode still chimes the St. Mich in Silent Mode. Do all of these movements have a working Silent Mode? Attached is a picture of this Schatz clock.

schatzchimew3.jpg

8. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An impressive movement and nice they took the trouble in decorating the backplate.

9. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This thread details how the silent mode works:

Schatz W3

10. dalesr

dalesr Registered User

Jan 4, 2009
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    I determined that this movement has a working Silent Mode. It was not very obvious why Silent Mode was not working on the Chime Selector but figured out that it had to do with set screw touching the Chime Selector when in Silent Mode. Once the Chime Selector is set to Silent Mode it needs to touch the set screw to raise the Strike Warning Lever and Chime Warning Lever. The attached picture shows how it should look like when in Silent Mode. Therefore, I am very confident that Silent Mode works for all of these movements just an odd way to set Silent Mode. I really do like this movement!

IMG_0211.jpg