Sailing Into History

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by claussclocks, Sep 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 claussclocks, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    I acquired these today from the estate of a history and war memorabilia collector. They are in excellent condition and the Seth Thomas has the Souvenir Papers from the Great Peace Fleet intact on the back.
    I am personally thrilled with them and the excellent condition of the Clocks.
    The Fleet #3 is a Seth Thomas
    The others are E. Ingraham's
    The Admiral Dewey
    The Admiral Sampson
    The McKimley
    I know parlor/kitchen clocks are not high end collectors pieces but these are fine examples of them.

DPC

Fleet No. 3.jpg Souvenir -2.jpg Souvenir -1.jpg Admiral Dewey Pendulum.jpg Admiral Dewey Clock.jpg Admiral Sampson Pendulum.jpg Admiral Sampson.jpg McKinley Pendulum.jpg McKinley Clock.jpg

PatH likes this.
  2. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    interesting! i guess i have never seen these models before. they seem to be in stellar shape.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Very nice. I do not very much care for kitchen/parlor clocks as a rule, but would be very happy to own these. Great finds!

JTD

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Certainly, the three Ingrahams are quite collectable and desirable. And I suspect the Seth Thomas, as well. Now you need the Welch's to go along with them.

5. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #5 Steven Thornberry, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    BTW, check the movement in the Sampson. That one might be a Welch rather than an Ingraham, though I could be wrong for one reason or another. Tran does show the Sampson in his Welch book (1900 catalogue), but not in his Ingraham book. That said, antiqueclockspriceguide.com does show a Sampson attributed to Ingraham: Antique Clock Details.

If yours also has an Ingraham movement, that raises some interesting possibilities/questions. Do the Ingrahams have labels?

6. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a great group to find! Is the Dewey the most common? I've never seen any of the others!

Congrats!!!

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Nice instant collection.

You're correct in saying the average "kitchen" or "gingerbread" clocks of this type are not particularly sought after anymore. However, these are still desirable even if not bringing quite the same prices they once were.

The Sampson, IMCO, is most certainly a Welch. The attribution in the linked to clock price guide listing is wrong.

My recollection is that Welch and Ingraham more or less contemporaneously produced a commemorative line.

The crest of the Welch had the image pressed into it as with your Sampson.

The crest of the Ingraham had a pressed design, too, but the central image was a separate applied pressed oak medallion. They sometimes go missing.

Also note the different pendulums used. The Ingrahams had the eagle decorated bob, the Welch's like the one with your Sampson.

To illustrate the differences, here's a side by side photo of the 2 Dewey clocks from those series:

Dewey.JPG

The Welch is on the viewer's left, the Ingraham on the right.

RM

PatH likes this.
  8. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a great find and wonderful additions to your collection!! They have certainly found a good home with someone who knows horology and history.

Here are a couple of Welch items from Jewelers' Circular during that era. (The file names include the date of the issue.) Only Dewey and Sampson clocks are pictured, but the article names the others who are so honored in the Welch line of clocks. It's a very interesting time in history, with everyone getting in on the celebration. There are several threads about the Dewey watches here on the message board. More insight into the horological involvement, including suggestions for Dewey window displays, ads and articles, can be found in the Jewelers' Circular.

Have fun learning more about your new additions. I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone finds.
    Pat

1898-07-27 Welch Dewey Sampson clocks.png Dewey clocks Welch JCH 1898-08-10.png

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 likes this.
  9. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    That’s great info!

And another example of how clocks can be a link to the history of their time.

RM

10. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have checked and indeed the Admiral Sampson is a Welch. Thank you.
    I did not find the Sampson in Trans Ingraham book but did see it online. Apparently, as statedt
    I am excited about acquiring this group of clocks. I appreciate the help and feedback from all of you very much.

11. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are correct. The Admiral Sampson is a Welch. I just took the online info on it since I did not see it in Tran's book.

12. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Great to know. On to the next clock.