Sailing back

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by bchaps, Jan 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bchaps

bchaps Registered User

Dec 16, 2001
    Mountain Top, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In November of 2009, my wife and I purchased a 40' sailboat and embarked on a new life adventure. Now, six years later, our thoughts begin to drift toward returning to dirt..(moving into a home for you landlubbers) With that thought, we began discussing what to do with my stored watch and clock tools and collections. FYI - clock and watch repair does NOT work on a sailboat. Salt environment is an absolute killer of fine steel tools, so there was never a thought of continuing any repair while under way.

But, memories began flooding back...polishing pivots, replacing jewels, setting the beat...whoa..I might want to still do repair work! So it was exciting to try my old NAWCC login and password and see the forums are still active. I even recognized some member names! It will be like learning a language not spoken or considered for six years (my wife had to remind me the name of my beautiful staff lathe - Boley F1), but it will be a good mental challenge.

The plan is to try six months on land and six months on the boat in the Caribbean, (currently in St Lucia for another week or so). That will provide opportunity to get reacquainted with many of you and see if these hands can recover the "touch".

Looking forward to further discussion,

Bill Chappell

2. ANDY YALE

ANDY YALE Registered User

Jun 14, 2013
    Writer
    Jersey City, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill - it's like riding a bicycle. You don't forget.
    I was away from watches for seven months, and it took me a couple of days to settle back into it.
    So allow yourself a warm up period. Do a few simple jobs. And it will all flow.
    If you ever need crew or cook for your on water sojourns, call on me!

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome back,

I see your second most recent post was from August, 2011, two years or so after you bought the sailboat. Six months on land, and six months in places like the Caribbean? On a sailboat? Hmmm! I wonder what the attraction might be, being back on land! Did you retain a residence to move back to? Look forward to your return to activity on the MB.