Sadly Neglected Watch Chain Show and Tell.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Omexa, Sep 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    #1 Omexa, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Hi, all I just realized a sadly neglected (on this forum) essential part of carrying a Pocket Watch. Since early times carrying a Pocket Watch has been fairly common, a Watch Chain in various forms is attached to a Waistcoat or Belt or Lapel etc. This Watch Chain has strange Links that I have never seen before. I would like to start a Watch Chain Post to show different types, from elaborate Gold Chains to more humble Chains. After I posted this I found, because "Watch Chains" was highlighted that there is a NAWCC section on Watch Chains; the purpose of this Post is to find out "What is out there among Pocket Watch Collectors". Regards Ray View attachment 356341 View attachment 356342

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    There have been at least a couple of threads while I have been here I think.I did not know there was a section for them.

3. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Nick, when I put in Pocket Watch Chains or Pocket Watch Fob Chains in Advanced Search, everything else comes up but nothing specific about Pocket Watch Chains. Thus this Post. Regards Ray

4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    I have a nice silver chain that I find rather interesting. It came attached to a fairly high-grade French cylinder watch that I bought with a group. The patina on it is very similar to the watch itself, and I have little doubt that they have been together a long time. Both sides of attachment are very nicely made. The ring side bears a hallmark, surely for silver, but it is different than the crab hallmarks on the watch case. Cheers.

5. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi MrRoundel, a very nice unusual Pocket Watch Chain; this is the sort of input that I was after! Regards Ray

6. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks Nick, this is what I want. Dave Coatsworth had the same problem as me when looking for Pocket Watch Chains. Regards Ray

7. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    #9 Audemars, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
    In 1968 Cathy and I were several pounds short of the deposit for our first house, so she sold a nice inherited carriage clock (£90 – 1968 remember) and I sold the chain (£50) from my late father’s Louis Audemars watch.
    About 20 years later I bought her a French bow-fronted carriage clock for Christmas and at the same time, quite independently, she bought me a new chain.
    The fobs are (L – R): A “Mizpah” locket, Cathy’s wedding and engagement rings, a very nice rotating seal with three faces, a Masonic Ball (which opens to make the cross in the other picture) and a masonic seal.
    The watch (LA 12562) was made in about 1874. It turned up, minus its case, in London during the first half of the 20[SUP]th[/SUP]C and my father made a case for it and presented it to his father.
    P