S/T-SCC Fashion No. 4 Pendulum Issue

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by KyleG, Jul 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KyleG

KyleG Registered User

Nov 4, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a SCC Fashion No. 4 pendulum that the bob is frozen on the stick - I'm unable to move it up or down. I suspect the pendulum is supposed to have a locking thumbscrew on the back of the bob, but if so, this is missing/broken off. See pics. Does anyone have a correct/funtional bob that can share a picture? And if possible measure the thread size of the locking screw. Appreciate any and all assistance.

Kyle

2. KyleG

KyleG Registered User

Nov 4, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Picture

IMG_1993.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to include picture in original post.

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think that there should be a set nut. Probably the pendulum bob is simply stuck. I would suggest to unscrew the nut below the bob for a quarter of an inch. Then. hold the bob in one hand and give the steel pendulum rod a blow with a wooden hammer, a brass hammer or a rubber hammer. That should loosen the bob and you should be able to regulate the clock.

Uhralt

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i agree... i've not seen a thumbscrew on a ST bob before... but if it turns out that there is some kind of screw or pin you could always drill it out...

5. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Show us a photo of the front, please. #4’s had a special pendulum with factory markings/etching on it.

6. KyleG

KyleG Registered User

Nov 4, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Not much of the design left, most has been polished away over the years.

IMG_1992.jpg

7. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kyle, I have a #4, but the pendulum is not original. I have never seen a pendulum like yours with a lock screw on it. Perhaps a soaking with something like silicone will free up the bob. There is probably corrosion on the bob and the wood is probably swollen. It should break loose after soaking a while.

8. KyleG

KyleG Registered User

Nov 4, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With all responders unanimous in their opinions that this bob does not have any kind of locking nut on the back, I took Uhralt's suggestion to back off the rating nut and tap the rod with a hammer. A couple of light taps on the metal rating rod and I was able to get the bob to grudgingly move. I was then able to move the bob back to its original postion by hand pressure. Still could not adjust the bob using just the rating nut. I'll need more work to free the bob before being able to regulate timing easily.

Thanks to all for their input.

Kyle