S. P. Bartley Boston Movement

Charles K

Apr 6, 2021
Country
Hello Forum Community,

I'm new at watch repair and collecting-less than a year for both, but I'm enjoying it so much. I recently inherited a large amount of clocks, watches, and pocket watches, and this one is among the items. I fellow watch enthusiast told me this is most likely a "fake" movement intended to copy the pre-civil war Model 1857 P.S. Bartlett grade. What can y'all tell me about it. Fake or not, I want to know more about this movement

20210406_103230.jpg

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Yes, I'd come down on the side of it being what we call a "Swiss fake". And the copiers used a name that is very similar to Waltham's "P.S. Bartlett" in order to confuse a buyer or help him fool his friends.

It may be a relatively early fake, as it appears to be undersprung, with the hairspring attaching beneath the balance wheel. If fact, I can't even see a hairspring on yours. Either it's missing or it's lost in the shadows.

If the watch can get by with a clean and oil it might be worth doing it. However, if it needs parts, like a staff, you'll almost certainly have to make your own on a lathe or have a competent watchmaker make one for you. Of course, the price of having a part made would almost certainly be cost prohibitive for this watch and any expected return if it was to be sold someday. JMHO. Good luck.

Charles K

Apr 6, 2021
Country
Thank you for that insight, your right in that the hairspring is hidden under the balance cock, but fortunately, it oscillates freely, I would just need to be careful in working on everything so as not to break anything.

Reactions: MrRoundel

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Pay special attention to the pallet lever. Many a pallet pivot is broken off when separating the plates without being certain the pivots are free of the bushing/jewel. Good luck.

Charles K

Apr 6, 2021
Country
This has all been very helpful, I look forward to getting into it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rob aust
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit