Mechanical WW Rusted winding arbor on a Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Weight Driven, Jan 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Weight Driven

Weight Driven Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Hi Guys, just picked up a Gyromatic and the winding arbor has rusted in place, just a little bit of stump left where pliers could maybe pull it out. Is there something I could use to soak the arbor to remove it or should I just try for a new movement. The movement was filthy but surprisingly the movement runs but needs a cleaning. Thanks for any help with this.

2. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    here are a couple of photos of the Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic. Hope this helps.

DSCN6046.JPG DSCN6045.JPG

3. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    You could disassemble the movement as far as possible without removing the stem. If you are lucky you can remove the stem from the plate towards the center of the main plate.

If not you can always resort to alum to remove any steel parts that are still left. Remove in this case means they will disintegrate by the alum solution and needs to be replaced........

4. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I've successfully used a soldering iron to remove hands which were rusted-on due to chemicals released by a well-yellowed plastic crystal. The technique is to heat the center wheel arbor or in this case, the stem, with the tip of the soldering gun such that the target will expand. Upon cooling & contracting it will tend to break the bond with the rust or whatever it's stuck to. This may need to be done repeatedly; the quicker the heat is applied to the target itself, the better.

Having said that, the pocket watch which I did this on had an unjewelled center wheel arbor & the dial was hot glass or "vitreous" enamel; there weren't any shellacked jewels anywhere nearby; thus there was nothing in the vicinity that I was concerned about over-heating.

Anyways this might be worth a try on the rusted broken stem in question.

I'd welcome the views of others ...

5. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    thanks for the replies guys. Will have to take this completely apart, something I am not used to, just started working on watches, will have to take lots of pics. Also, where might I find a replacement stem/crown? I tried Casker and Jules Borel and both web sites did not have the stem, at least I could not find it. Again, thanks for the help.

6. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    What caliber is it? (21?)

7. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Hi Skutt, what is stamped on the movement is 21 165 GXM and 17 jewel. I assume the 21 is what you were referring to?

8. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
  9. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    thanks Skutt for going the extra mile for the stem replacement info. Should be one available at one of these sites.