Russian "Submarine" Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by bajaddict, Jan 24, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bajaddict

bajaddict Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I picked this one up on ebay for 40 clams. She was listed in the auction's title as a "Cold War Clock"..... this is probably why there were no other bids, as these clocks seem to be very popular judging by the final bids on completed auctions.

She's pretty heavy duty :thumb: and incorporates a simple design. There are also "geneva stops", of sorts. She actually seems fairly water-proofed and I would not hesitate to mount her in a pleasure craft, if I were able to afford one...... but they seemed a little tight on the amount of brass that went into her construction. I have taken a lot of pictures as some folks may not have seen the innards on one of these babies.

I would reckon that this is not military issue..... just a popular souvenir. Although she DID come with an official-looking xeroxed certificate of authenticity :whistle:

Attached Files:

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Your photos reveal one of the thousands of "Cold War Era" products made in the Soviet Union if the case is made of die-cast or "pot-metal." They have various names on the face.

They generally are fair timekeepers until the balance staff breaks. The slow balance is necessarily heavy.....probably excessively heavy for the strength of the balance staff pivots. Just don't drop the clock when handling!

3. bajaddict

NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, Eckmill :thumb:

Hmmmmmm...... not quite sure if the box lists the durability of this artifact with accuracy. It says that she's built to take pressures up to 2,000 feet below sea level and the force of depth charge blasts. Mebbe they are stretching the truth a wee tad :?|

4. bajaddict

NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And she is mounted next to her Western ilk..... no longer required to be separated by Cold War constraints :thumb:

Hmmmmmm..... she was made in 1999. Did we even still have a Cold War going on in 1999 :?|

IMG_2245.jpg

5. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have one I bought from ebay, it arrived DOA, but after a service and new platform it goes well, same case as yours but different dial.

here is my clock along side another sub clock a customer bought it for repair, couldn't really repair the movement without a lot of work so converted it to a constant drive quartz, pictures will show someone went to a lot of trouble, I would give them credit for being inventive and actually getting it to work, but on the other hand :whistle:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115618637112636511511/RussianSubClock

6. bajaddict

NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for sharing, sir :thumb: I have read some old threads & some thought that the mainspring is too heavy for the balance staff and a replacement is advised, along with part numbers. I may look into that. The clock was as dry as a camel's hoof, so I oiled her when I broke her down. The date on it is 1999 & it looked like they scrimped on the lubricants 14 years back. The clock gives no appearance of ever having been mounted...... so I had doubts if servicing had occurred I got her into my clutches.

7. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the mainspring is fine, the pivots on the balance staff are I think undersized, they could easily be a bit thicker and still keep good time.

oil, well it is russian , :) they probably skipped the oil because of the cold there.