• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Russian clock problem

RoystonSmythe

Nov 20, 2020
Country
Greetings
I recently aquired this Russian clock. It works ok but the arbour that changes the time has come off.
The parts are there but I cannot figure out how to remove the movement. The face is too large for it to come out of the back of the solid wood case so It must go out the front.
The problem is I cannot see hoe to open or remove the glass and bezel.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks in advance
Roy IMG_6628.JPG IMG_6629.JPG IMG_6630.JPG

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
Looking from the back, there's a steel bracket on the bottom. It looks like it touches the movement right where the plate separator rods (incorrect term) are located. Are there screws or bolts holding the bracket to the movement? If so, it might slide out after the bracket is separated from the movement.
Also, the last picture shows that the bezel, the inner bezel and the dial are separating - the movement and dial might pull out the back somehow leaving the bezel attached to to the case? In that case, perhaps there's a bolt on the bottom of the case that's holding the steel bracket to the case. Do I see two small brads at the top of the bezel or are they small dings?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I haven't seen that particular clock but I have seen mantle clocks where the movement came out the bottom, or removing the bottom would give you access to pins (or tabs) that held the movement and/or the dial in place.

You could also try turning the bezel. It may have some type of bayonet, or friction mount. Bayonet mounts usually turn left to come off but don't get carried away, the bezel looks to be delicate, maybe aluminum.

Willie X

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I agree. The bezel will either twist off or pull off. It might even be threaded, but not as likely. However, I don't think the bezel is holding the movement in the case. Removing it might reveal what is holding it though. That bracket must be holding it in. I can't see how it is fastened to the wood or to the movement.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Back to the bottom board. Is it attached with screws? If so, remove them and have a look/see. Willie X

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
WillieX nailed it! Bayonet mount.

"You could also try turning the bezel. It may have some type of bayonet, or friction mount. Bayonet mounts usually turn left to come off but don't get carried away, the bezel looks to be delicate, maybe aluminum."

SovietClock_LI.jpg

RoystonSmythe

Nov 20, 2020
Country
The black bracket just holds the movement steady in the case. I have removed the lowest screw which attaches the bracket to the case. It is the face that is preventing the movement to be removed from the rear, it is larger than the hole through the case. I will try removing the bevel as per suggestions above. Regards Roy

RoystonSmythe

Nov 20, 2020
Country
Success ! Yes it was a bayonet mounted bezel. Once I got that off the inner part of the bezel had 4 screws. I removed them and the movement came out through the front of the case. Hopefully the arbour will be an easy fix as everything appears to be there. Thanks for the advice. regards - Roy IMG_6637.JPG IMG_6638.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reward Rolex President18K
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-