Run of the mill mantel but with interesting nameplate (280 battalion 70th rwf anti tank regiment r.a. +)

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Picked this one up a few days ago along with a Franz Hermle & Sons mantel clock dirt cheap. Porch pickup. Lady said her Dad died last year and he worked on clocks, I guess as a hobby but she had no idea of the history of his clocks. The movement on this one says Foreign and the clock dial face says Foreign. It's missing the key, bob and hands. But what's interesting about this one is the nameplate on the front of the clock. Says: 280 BTY. 70th (RWF) ANTI-TANK REG. R.A.(+). I think this was a Anti Tank Battalion of the Royal Artillery and part of the Royal Welch Fusilier group of the UK formed in 1939 to fight German Tanks. Interesting to say the least but no idea of the history or why the clock ended up in the USA. I'm thinking the clock is from the 1940s. I assume this clock must have been awarded to a member of the Royal Welch Fusilier Anti Tank Battalion?? Any idea what size hands, nut and bob I should order from timesavers, maybe a new hammer as well.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I think BTY may stand for Battery, not Battalion.

You can get the size of the hands by measuring the distance for the minute
hand from the hand arbor to the edge of the chapter ring. The hour hand will come as appropriately shorter is you order a pair.

You don't need a new hammer, you can replace the leather head if you want to.

JTD

Reactions: legosnell

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hello, legosnell!

The movement on this one says Foreign and the clock dial face says Foreign.
This indicates that the clock was manufactured outside of the UK for export to the UK, post-1926. Your clock is most likely of German origin.

I'm thinking the clock is from the 1940s.
IMO, the clock was probably made closer to the period 1926 to 1930. It is unlikely that Germany and the UK were selling / buying clocks with each other during the 1940s

but no idea of the history or why the clock ended up in the USA.
Like most clocks made 80 to 100 years ago that were manufactured outside of the U.S. and now reside in the U.S., it probably made its way to the U.S. (at some point after its initial purchase) via auction or internet sale or emigration to the U.S.

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: legosnell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-