• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

RSM vienna regulator

Lee.k

Nov 4, 2021
Country
Hi all,
I recently purchased this clock and I posted on the RSM page to see if anyone could offer any info about it. From reading on the forums here, I believe this may date from 1883? I believe the pediment to be a more modern replacement, If anyone could offer opinions, it’d be appreciated. Thanks

6EBA2C27-E126-4930-BD2C-EAC1FF249BD2.jpeg 52F78A8C-81B8-48C9-8FD8-D2635774FA84.jpeg 2231E732-9F6F-4CFA-AC65-4A5AF89275B2.jpeg 75A62DC9-24E5-41FE-AE3C-D362F1F5B550.jpeg 6C389B6E-6846-4E66-8827-1AFB52A29421.jpeg F86C33B5-EAF7-4141-9A36-FC16CA678F06.jpeg 5966C310-CBAA-4F4C-B796-BD129A536C89.jpeg 4DFCDCCC-12D4-4D56-9858-EB8C4B1E91CA.jpeg 9A9ABDE7-B4CD-4A32-954B-DD4F85226ABD.jpeg 1BD1B276-21B5-4B0C-B62B-FDA31BACFD86.jpeg

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
I believe he is much younger. Around 1895.
In 1894 the RSM mark with a rose was registered. I don't know any proof that it has been used before.
I devoted a lot of time to this producer. In the next thread, I presented my observations.
I remind you of the registration confirmation:

rsm_1894_rose.jpg

Lee.k

Nov 4, 2021
Country
I believe he is much younger. Around 1895.
In 1894 the RSM mark with a rose was registered. I don't know any proof that it has been used before.
I devoted a lot of time to this producer. In the next thread, I presented my observations.
I remind you of the registration confirmation:

View attachment 683969
Thank you Yahagi, you’ve clearly done a lot of research. I find it problematic however with the theory that the RSM rose logo wasn’t used before the National registration in 1894. If this was the case then that would mean that all of the clocks with the full RSM logo and serial numbers were made within only a 5 or so year period. And if such a quantity of clocks were being produced and sold at that time, during a period of depression, why would Reinhold Schnekenburger be forced to sell the business? Although no evidence has been proven here yet, that the trademark was in use since 1882, isn’t that far more likely?

Reactions: Yahagi

Yahagi

Dec 16, 2019
Country
Region
Lee.k:
Thanks for participating in the discussion :)

I also see a large number of clocks manufactured in a short time. I cannot say why the RSM had to sell the shares ...

I am reminded of the story of the Daewoo company from 1997-99. Maybe the RSM has also overinvested? Maybe he was not making enough money on the production of clocks and the business became irreversible?

The ROSE from 1894 surprised me too. I was convinced it would be 1891-92 rather. Could it be that it was used earlier this year? Maybe so, but we don't have any proof of it. Typically, advertisements such as ROSE 1894 are used for relatively precise dating. If there is a signature on the mechanism, it was produced after the date of registration.
If it were to be otherwise in the case of the RSM, evidence would be needed. Without them, it will be creating history instead of discovering history.

John Hubby presented his assumptions for RSM dating a few years ago. I have allowed myself to disagree with him, not because of my vanity and 'ego' ... but because the clocks I have seen are indicative of something else entirely

I would not like to repeat the arguments from the neighboring thread. In my opinion, this graph says a lot:

Since its publication, it has changed a bit. I added some mechanisms.

If John Hubby's assumptions are correct - then the vast majority of technological changes occurred in 1882 and 1883.
Within 1 calendar year, the following changes have changed:
clock hands, mechanism mount (x4? x5?), clock pendulum, anchor in the mechanism (x2). In addition, there are significant changes to the design of the crates.
In those early years, there would also have to be Central Secondary and Weight clocks.
It is very hard to believe that all these and other changes that I mentioned in the adjacent thread took place in 1882/3.
It would be a very violent development, completely different from other producers at the time. It would also be an exceptionally large number of preserved clocks from that period. The first 2 bars show this.

So I believe more in ROSE since 1894 ... and that RSM numbering was a bit complicated.

If you want to - please answer in the adjacent thread, so that we don't create confusion.

regards
:)

Lee.k

Nov 4, 2021
Country
Lee.k:
Thanks for participating in the discussion :)

I also see a large number of clocks manufactured in a short time. I cannot say why the RSM had to sell the shares ...

I am reminded of the story of the Daewoo company from 1997-99. Maybe the RSM has also overinvested? Maybe he was not making enough money on the production of clocks and the business became irreversible?

The ROSE from 1894 surprised me too. I was convinced it would be 1891-92 rather. Could it be that it was used earlier this year? Maybe so, but we don't have any proof of it. Typically, advertisements such as ROSE 1894 are used for relatively precise dating. If there is a signature on the mechanism, it was produced after the date of registration.
If it were to be otherwise in the case of the RSM, evidence would be needed. Without them, it will be creating history instead of discovering history.

John Hubby presented his assumptions for RSM dating a few years ago. I have allowed myself to disagree with him, not because of my vanity and 'ego' ... but because the clocks I have seen are indicative of something else entirely

I would not like to repeat the arguments from the neighboring thread. In my opinion, this graph says a lot:

Since its publication, it has changed a bit. I added some mechanisms.

If John Hubby's assumptions are correct - then the vast majority of technological changes occurred in 1882 and 1883.
Within 1 calendar year, the following changes have changed:
clock hands, mechanism mount (x4? x5?), clock pendulum, anchor in the mechanism (x2). In addition, there are significant changes to the design of the crates.
In those early years, there would also have to be Central Secondary and Weight clocks.
It is very hard to believe that all these and other changes that I mentioned in the adjacent thread took place in 1882/3.
It would be a very violent development, completely different from other producers at the time. It would also be an exceptionally large number of preserved clocks from that period. The first 2 bars show this.

So I believe more in ROSE since 1894 ... and that RSM numbering was a bit complicated.

If you want to - please answer in the adjacent thread, so that we don't create confusion.

regards
:)
Thank you Yahagi. I have replied back on the other thread as suggested

Reactions: Yahagi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3号缐
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit