Royal Robbins

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jerry Freedman, Mar 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    I just saw a death notice for Royal Robbins, founder of a clothing company bearing his name. He was also known as a rock climbing icon.

Could he be related to the Royal Robbins of Waltham fame?

Jerry Freedman

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really do not know the Robbins family history after R. E. Robbins. His son Royal Robbins would have been born around 1870 but I do not have a date. He would have been 65 when Royal Robbins the rock climber was born so there probably would have been another intervening generation.

This Royal Robbins sounds like a great character and an important figure in vertical wall rock climbing.

3. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I believe he was the grandson. One of his original stores is on Gilman and 6th St. in Berkeley (3 blocks from my office). Coincidently it is on the former site of the California Watch Company. And yes, a helluva climber! I learned the knots from his book back in the 70's.-Cort

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The obituary was in the Boston Globe today (it comes at 6 am but I don't read it until 6 pm). They did not mention Waltham in the local obit either.

5. TimeAntiquarian

TimeAntiquarian Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Country Flag:
    If (climber) Royal Robbins is related to the R.E. Robbins of Waltham fame, it would be through his mother, Beaulah Robbins. His biological father's name was Royal Shannon.