Royal Bonn

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by wow, May 1, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Picked up this nice Ansonia at an auction yesterday. I have two questions: What is the model? Is the pendulum original? Never seen a pendulum like this. It's porcelain also. Comments about clock appreciated. Thanks.

Will

Attached Files:

2. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will, I have serious doubts about this being an Ansonia clock. What I can see of the movement and hands look Asian to me. I have never seen a bob like that in an Ansonia product. The casing also looks like it may be a reproduction. A picture of the movement from the back would be a help. David, Owen.or

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Will, I agree entirely with David - this is almost certainly not a Royal Bonn case and I also have grave doubts about the movement. The escape wheel and pallets look 'wrong', apart from anything else.

I have seen a pendulum like this before - but on a reproduction Chinese four glass and cloisonne (modern) clock.

Please post a picture of the movement.

JTD

4. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the picture on the pendulum means it is meant to be seen
    Why would it be put it in a clock where it can't

5. prideofmatchingham

prideofmatchingham Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    Chinese use a lot of colors. Whereas original antique would have 'subdued hue and grace', modern repro would be loud and screaming. And ofcourse Les Harland's point can hardly be missed.

This clock doesnt give nice vibes.

6. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the help. You are all right. I'm glad I got it very cheap. Still a nice clock. Runs and strikes fine. I should be able to make a few bucks on it. I wish it were authentic, though. If it were, I'd keep it. Oh well, I'll find a "real" one someday.