Rowlands Grandfather - Albany NY

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by TheTickTockDoc, Feb 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TheTickTockDoc

TheTickTockDoc Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    New Port Richey, Florida USA
    Country Flag:
    Can anyone provide information on this clock....or clockmaker? I am not able to provide any pics of the movement at this time. Thanks in advance for your kind help and expertise.

Best regards,

Rich

IMG_1189.PNG IMG_1190.JPG

2. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
  3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Henry Rowlands was a retailer / jeweler in Albany, New York, so he is not the maker of your tall case clock.

rowlands_1869-jpg.jpg

Swiss Bar Movement Redux

Pictures of the movement will (hopefully) determine the maker of your clock.

Regards.

4. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Nov 11, 2012
    Student
    France
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

A fabulous clock. It would be more accurate to call it a jeweler’s regulator. I’d also love to see the movement, and wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be French. The enamel dial, Bréguet style hands and especially the position of the winding holes reminds me of a type of Morbier comtoise movement, obviously with complications as there is a third winding hole. Perhaps for quarter-striking? Hope you get to see the movement to reveal all!

Regards.

5. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    pendulum doesnt seem to match the cabinet

6. TheTickTockDoc

TheTickTockDoc Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    New Port Richey, Florida USA
    Country Flag:
    I was considering purchasing this clock......looked at it...the hood did not come off...or I couldn't figure how to access the movement in the short amount of time I had with the clock. It wasn't running. They wanted around $1,000 for it. The back of the hood and back middle part of the cabinet were finished and decorated like the front. The pendulum looked hand made...and not by a jeweler. Some pretty big cracks in the wood on the front. Probably shouldn't have let it get away......but...there's always another clock. Thanks for the information. Rich

7. lylepete

lylepete Registered User

Feb 9, 2003
    To me it looks like a marriage. Why are there two winding holes in the bezel. Most of the jeweler's regulator Ive seen almost always have a second sweep hand or seconds bit. I would hold off untill you can see whats inside. My guess just from the pictures it was a time and strike clock it stopped working and someone put in a time only movement. I like the case though.
    William

8. lylepete

lylepete Registered User

Feb 9, 2003
    The more i think about it. I bet at one time it had two faces and was possibly use in a train station or something of that nature. If it were a gf or jewlers there would be no reason to make the back look like the front. I remember working on a double dial clock a long time ago. It had a double spring movement that wound from one side and the other side has a spot in the dial to adjust the time. It was a real pain, but fun to see
    William

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    There are three winding holes, and I think I can make out three winding arbors.

10. lylepete

lylepete Registered User

Feb 9, 2003
    I wondering about that, wasnt to sure. If that is the case i would bet the middle one adjust the hands and the two other winds the time.
    William

11. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    well, someone bought it. she has it posted as sold.

i do not think it is a jeweler's regulator as the pendulum would indicate. the chances are pretty good that the movement was a 3 train morbier judging by the winding hole configuration as ticktocktime mentions above.

here is an example:

AXUIrw.jpg

the movement and dial could be original to this cabinet. i think the case looks french. i would guess late 19th c. the pendulum, though, seems like an enigma to me. it does not seem to even come close to looking like it would match the glass opening.