Help Rookie Mistake

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Joe LaBonte, Mar 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Joe LaBonte

Joe LaBonte New Member

Mar 26, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Well I must admit a made a mistake I will never repeat ! I've had a vintage Lucerne dive watch since middle school that I overwound and broke. Recently I decided I wanted to get into watch repair and restoration as I have 50 or so watches. I chose the Lucerne to start with. It has a simple EB 8810 movement with date and a sub second hand. While completely disassembling the movement I took detailed photos of it. The problem I have is the photos were on my phone and it died. To make it worse, This my FIRST attempted total rebuild ! Is there anybody that das a detailed schematic or blown up views of the EB 8810 so that the pile of parts I have can once again be a functional watch ? Thank You for any help I can get.

2. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Check out cousinsuk.com . They have a downloads section with parts lists of movements. No service manuals that I've found though.
    You need to create an account with them to be able to access that section though. They are a good source of materials and consumables if you are in the EU though. Although, soon they won't be...

Best of luck!

Karl

3. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I looked at the sheet that Cousins has, and it's just a parts sheet - pictures of the parts without context. You can find out what the parts are called, but not how they go together.

I've never worked on one of those, so don't have photos, sorry. My suggestion would be to pick another watch, overhaul it with scrupulous pictures, and combine those pictures with some serious head-scratching to get it figured out.

Either that or buy another one on eBay to take apart and put back together with yours - there are several listed now as "new old stock".

Good luck.

Glen

4. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Hi Joe, welcome to the forum! Lots of folks make the mistake of making the first watch they repair one that's special to them. A manual wind movement always has about the same parts, and the date adds just a few more. With experience you'll be able to put together a movement like this just from looking at the parts - it only goes together one way (or if some fiddly date part goes together two ways, you'll clearly see by looking at it that one way will work to advance the date, and the other won't, for instance.)

If you put this special watch aside, and take apart, clean and oil, and successfully put back together 9 other movements, or better yet, 99, you can come back to this one and do it justice.

6. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Have a look at this video:

It is a 8800 but perhaps you find enough information there to assemble your 8810.