roller table replacement

tracker

Aug 15, 2007
Country
Region
I have just started to replace the balance staff on a hamilton 940 grade pocket watch and I forgot to mark the location of the roller jewel before i removed the roller table from the staff. Normally i make a mark on the balance wheel before I start. Not this time. How can I find the right location for the roller jewel when I start to re assmble the movement? Any ideas?

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
I have just started to replace the balance staff on a hamilton 940 grade pocket watch and I forgot to mark the location of the roller jewel before i removed the roller table from the staff. Normally i make a mark on the balance wheel before I start. Not this time. How can I find the right location for the roller jewel when I start to re assmble the movement? Any ideas?
Hamilton rollers are set 90 degrees to the crossarm. I have found that they were most likely set on the side that allows the S/N scratched on the crossarm can be read. This is based on timing results and it fits my expectation that watchmakers are systematic creatures.

Reactions: Paul_S

rleegabe

Oct 4, 2001
Alderwood Manor Washington State
Country
Region
Try watching some videos on youtube From what I see if you put the balance in so the roller jewel is lined up between the banking pins then set your balance cock on you can see where you need to move the hairspring collet stud to match the balance cock stud hole.

Reactions: Brian C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supatint
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff