• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

English PW roller jewel

CJo

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2005
southwest Kansas.
Country
Region
I was watching a watch repair video. It said that the roller jewel needed to be perpendicular to the cross bars at all times. Is this true in all situations. I'm new to watch repair and have a lot to learn. Your input is much appreciated. Thanks

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
"Cross bars"? By that you mean? Perhaps you mean the balance wheel arms? If so, then it isn't absolutely critical the roller jewel be perpendicular, but it should be close.

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
There are some watches that the roller jewel should be set at other angles. Off-hand I can't recall which they are. The different angle makes it easier to make adjustments (it is almost impossible to see otherwise an the several that I worked on).

CJo

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2005
southwest Kansas.
Country
Region
What I'm working on is a size 12 Elgin. The roller jewel is not perpendicular, and wondered if I needed to move it and how.

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Moving a roller jewel should be done by gently heating the roller table to soften the shellac that holds the jewel, and adjusting the jewel before the shellac hardens. This can be done by using a pallet warming stove, or by using a pair of old broken tweezers which you have heated to red hot at the tip.

CJo

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2005
southwest Kansas.
Country
Region
Lost internet service, so hadn't been able to reply.
I guess what I need, is to move the roller table to the correct position. I have found in all my books no info on how this is best accomplished and as I said, I am very new at all this. Your input is greatly appreciated.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi CJo,

As Doug mentioned earlier, it isn't absolutely critical that the impulse jewel is precisely at 90 degrees to the crossings; this by itself won't stop the watch from working. Perhaps you could explain why you want to move it? What are the symptoms?

Regards,

Graham

CJo

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2005
southwest Kansas.
Country
Region
The balance when placed in the watch, will wobble, and not stay running. I placed another balance in the watch that had the roller table perpendicular to the cross bars and the watch runs perfectly.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi CJo,

I think you've just answered your question! Just because another balance works which happens to have the roller in a different orientation, doesn't necessarily mean that that's the reason; you probably have a broken balance staff pivot which is resulting in the wobble effect. A replacement staff is the only answer if this proves to be the case. Also, if the pivot is broken there's a distinct chance that the jewels at that end are damaged as well.

Regards,

Graham

topspy

NAWCC Member
Nov 17, 2013
Oregon
www.fixmypocketwatch.com
Country
Region
Also, beware the prior repair! I had one a while back that would run, but only face down. Turned out that someone had mounted the hairspring and roller on the wrong sides of the staff, and put the balance in upside down! They had reamed out the roller to make it fit....

You could have a balance with a staff that is too short or undersized pivots ( if you find that a pivot isn't broken.) Also check that the escapement is 'in beat.' You can approximate this by noting that the roller jewel is between the banking pins while at rest. To do this let down the mainspring, remove the balance and then the pallet fork, install the balance and see where the roller jewel sits. Adjust by turning the hairspring collet on the staff with a small screwdriver in the slot of the hairspring collet.....

But first you must determine the cause of the wobble!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amsships
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller