American PW Roller Jewel?

T

tymekeypur

....have an old Waltham 18S Model 1857 that has a sheared roller jewel...my question is: since I can't seem to find a 'round' roller jewel that was originally fitted to the roller, I was wondering if a 'D-shaped' jewel would get the job done and if so, how would it be best positioned in the roller?...thanks...

T

tymekeypur

....have an old Waltham 18S Model 1857 that has a sheared roller jewel...my question is: since I can't seem to find a 'round' roller jewel that was originally fitted to the roller, I was wondering if a 'D-shaped' jewel would get the job done and if so, how would it be best positioned in the roller?...thanks...

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
You should be able to find a round roller jewel, try S.LaRose. Otherwise, if you want to use the half-round type just put it in the same place and in the same position with the flat of the jewel facing the pallet fork. If it doesn't work right you could turn it around, which would basically give you a round jewel. The reason they switched to the half round type is that it is possible to run the watch with the balance free from contact for a wider arc, which improves the timekeeping.

T

tymekeypur

...thanks a lot Smudgy!...btw, I was moved to seek out some info on 'Wasilla AK' and found your location to be a fascinating and beautiful area (Wasilla Lake area: gorgeous) and not at all the 'deep freeze' location one(me) had imagined...

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
Yeah, we actually get 2 or 3 days of weather warm enough to not wear parkas and muk-luks ;). I moved up here in January 1990 and it was about 25 below, but I haven't regretted the move and doubt I'll ever leave. Summers actually started here the past few days. I've been working with the shop door open. The winters are cold and long, though. But I think the lack of light is harder to deal with than the cold. At least you can dress for the cold, and as long as you keep moving it's not too bad. I grew up in Pennsylvania and the winters are wet there, which seems to cut right through clothes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moneyrama
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff