Rolex Popularity

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by viclip, Dec 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Of all the watches that I've amassed, for no particular reason I've yet to acquire a Rolex. Regardless I saw the recent news stories respecting the pair of Rolexes to be auctioned for charity yesterday evening. As per the link below, the Jack Nicholson gold Day/Date brought far less than forecast indeed, Marlon Brando's steel GMT-Master sold for more. Thus Paul Newman's Daytona evidently retains the record for Rolex celebrity watch auctions.

If any NAWCC member was the high bidder on any of those Rolexes, please do post photos :D

Jack Nicklaus' gold Rolex watch sells for $1 million at auction

Paul Raposo likes this.
  2. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "Of all the watches that I've amassed, for no particular reason I've yet to acquire a Rolex."

Good common sense...;)

AxelsHumanDad and viclip like this.
  3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have my Oyster Rolex from 1939 and that works for me. The big newer Rolex watches do nothing for me.

Paul Raposo and viclip like this.
  4. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I've handled quite a few Rolex, but never really thought "I must have one of these!"
    Zenith and Glashutte appeal to me more.

Paul Raposo and viclip like this.
  5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been inside a lot of Rolex over the years. I still prefer other watches. I live out in the sticks so I rarely if ever see watches like Glashutte. Zenith yes, I've seen a lot of these and do prefer them to Rolex to work on. They rarely show wear like Rolex commonly do. I use a Jaeger LeCoultre 467/2 RAF issue WWII as my timekeeper at the workbench, though a quartz clock sits on the wall. I'd prefer to own a Certina DS to a Rolex but do wear several Seiko watches mostly.

Tomxhar and viclip like this.
  6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 roughbarked, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Must put some new luminous in the hands one day. I don't expect to go swimming or diving with it on but I wear this a lot and love it. It is an original one owner watch.

I may have told the tale of the Certina DS2 that had been lost in a swimming place in an irrigation system where water raced down a narrow shallow channel at around 30mph or so it was said. We called it the 30 mile. We'd jump in up at the main road and try to avoid touching the sides as the concrete would tear skin off. At the end of the narrow channel, it widened out and had a waterfall and whirlpool where all the young lads would get shot out of the channel and spun around in the waterfall. An old schoolfriend brought his watch in to be checked. Said he'd lost it in the 30 mile years before and someone had recently found it. When I opened it, there was a small amount of rust on the winding stem and the watch was still running, kept wound up by the turbulent movement of the water?

PC195523.JPG

Tomxhar and viclip like this.
  7. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Certina watches are 'certinaly' ;) renowned for their water resisting properties, the DS range especially.
    Seems like your friend made a good choice of timepiece to go swimming in the '30 Mike's with!

viclip likes this.
  8. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only reason I own a two-tone Rolex Datejust is because I inherited it from my father who passed away in 2005. And the only reason he owned one is it was a Christmas present from my sister and I in 1998. My sister had a boss at the time who wanted to upgrade to the solid gold Rolex and we were able to acquire this watch at a fair price at the time.
    FWIW, Brad Maisto, Kentucky Floral #44 Secretary

viclip likes this.
  9. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wear one for work and I rarely take it off, I wear them because they are tough as old boots and I can do what I like wearing it. That isn't true for the vintage ones with acrylic crystals.

If I get dressed up I wear a Patek Philippe.

D.th.munroe, Brad Maisto and viclip like this.
  10. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Vintage Rolex for sure! Modern? not so much. For modern, I prefer Breitling and Grand Seiko

viclip likes this.