Rolex info & reference # sought

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by timelyrestorations, Mar 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Just acquired this watch. It is missing the center seconds hand, but otherwise appears in fairly good shape. Dial is marked Rolex Army. I've done some research, and can't find anything with a snapback case such as this watch has. Everything I've found has an Oyster case, and a slightly different movement. How would I determine the reference # for this watch, and/or any other information?
    Cheers,
    Doug

army1.JPG army2.JPG army3.JPG army4.JPG

2. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Sorry! Just realized I posted this on the wrong board. Not sure how to move it. Moderator perhaps?

Doug

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    moved to wristwatch forum.

musicguy likes this.
  4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm no expert on Rolexes, but I do like it. With the case markings I'm liking it as complete and original as well. The repainted/replaced minute hand is pretty minor. It could be a real find, providing you didn't pay $Million for it. :D

Hopefully Jeff Hess, Adam, or some other Rolex and/or military watch expert will provide something more learned and interesting. Cheers.

5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a trench style watch?

Aegler movement? Probably FHF 30?

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi timelyrestorations.

The 'RWC Ltd' mark was probably first used by the company in 1923, which accords with the style of this watch. The cushion case and rather more geometric dial and hands suggest that it's a little later than the usual accepted 'trench' style, (with a round case and simple bent wire strap lugs), perhaps into the 1930s. It isn't clear when the older 'W&D' mark was completely abandoned in favour of the 'RWC Ltd' mark, but they appear to have overlapped during the later 1920s. This watch is thus most unlikely to be older than 1923.

The Swiss hallmarks for 0.925 silver and a single standing bear are only found before 1933, so this, in conjunction with the implications of the 'RWC Ltd' mark described above, narrow the production of your watch to just 10 years between '23 and '33. (In 1933 the bear was replaced by a single duck for 0.925 silver).

Regards,

Graham

MrRoundel and PapaLouies like this.