Rodney Brace mantle clock- need info

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Susan Bialek, Oct 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Susan Bialek

Susan Bialek Registered User

Oct 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Hi, new to this forum. Found this clock at a tag sale, paid $30!! It is beautiful, and I love it, but it has no movement. Someone attached a battery operated clock movement with new hands, (which works -- yeah!). There is a clock hand inside that might be original (see pics). I do not think the face is original, as its made of some kind of cardboard/mdf? I also suspect that the reverse painting isn't that old as paint looks too fresh, though I'm not positive. There is a pendulum inside too(see pic) with a tower that looks like the seth thomas building, so not sure it belongs to this clock. There is some beautiful cursive writing around the Rodney Brace print. Looks like it says Friedrich, and can't make out last name. Posted pictures.
    I'd love and appreciate any info on it.

20181006_161851.jpg 20181006_191655.jpg 20181006_153151.jpg 20181010_102516.jpg 20181010_102009.jpg 20181010_102026.jpg 20181010_102139.jpg 20181010_102122.jpg 20181010_102551.jpg 20181010_102457.jpg

blindraccoon likes this.
  2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! I used the magnifying glass at the upper right to search the whole forum for other mentions of Rodney Brace...found quite a few. You might spend a little time looking through a few of those to see what other information you can find.

Kurt

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Rodney Brace was a clock maker in N.Bridgewater, MA. As indicated above, if you search the MB, you will find much info about him. For example, here are 2 previous threads that contain examples of his clocks and links to some relevant information and recommendations for further reading, if you're so inclined:

Brace yourselves...

A Peripatetic Clock

Brace was a MA clock maker. He made the cases and installed weight driven wooden works of either a Torrington type and later on a Terry type. See the above links to see what is meant by the former. His cases can be quite distinct and are often beautifully carved as is yours.

The dials were wood. Take another look at yours. I suspect that is the instance here.

I speculate that at some point someone replaced the original weight driven wooden works with a spring driven brass one. As part of that conversion, the original winding holes were plugged and new ones created. A further modification would have been to replace the wind-up movement with the quartz one. Sadly, this is the type of unfortunate thing that all too often happens to these clocks over time. Actually, the terry type movements used in these clocks are not hard to find. Based upon the plugged winding holes, I think that is what was originally there. You could convert it back.

The door glass ("tablet") is most definitely not original nor in the correct style but is actually quite a nice scene that appears to be hand painted. I would keep it.

A nice decorative object for not much money. Enjoy!

RM

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That tablet looks fantastic.

5. Susan Bialek

Oct 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you RM! I'll take a look. I just discovered this blog this morning so haven't had the time to peruse. Yeah, had suspicions about the tablet. It is nicely done, and seems to fit the antiquity of the clock. All too often i see clocks like this and either the glassis broken or the paint is badly peeling. There is an old sticker with the number 10 on it. And, the cursive writing with the name has #10/??. Could this have been signed by a worker in the shop? And perhaps this is the tenth out of ? Clocks?

6. Susan Bialek

Oct 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Here are pictures of pendulum which was inside and clock minute hand. Does anyone believe the pendulum went with the clock?

20181010_102301.jpg 20181010_102350.jpg 20181010_101959.jpg

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    You're welcome.

Not sure what to make of the sticker. Is it on the back of the dial?

No, neither that hand nor pendulum are original. Go the threads I linked to for what the hands originally looked like when the clock had its original wooden works. The pendulum is from a later "gingerbread" or "kitchen" clock. Again, probably left over from when the wooden works was swapped out with a later brass works. That type of movement swap was not unusual as it was easier to do that rather than repairing a wooden works.

RM

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Looks like an Ingraham pendulum. If the swap RM mentions did occur - and it is likely - possibly an Ingraham movement was used.

9. Susan Bialek

Oct 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    The sticker with the number 10 was on the inside of the clock case above the "directions"

10. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    that is one lovely case for sure! I´d be tempted to acquire an original ww movement and to restore it to its former glory;wouldn´t decide about the tablet right now.
    Just my 2cts...
    Burkhard

11. Susan Bialek

Oct 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Burkhard. I'm pretty pleased to say the least! Wouldn't know where to find a ww work. I thought there where things for sale on this site, but can't seem to find them. Hoping to find a good repair person that can do that for me eventually. Just enjoying it right now.

12. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    eBay is a potential source.

RM

13. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    In general, we do not permit any form of buying and selling on the message board. However, we do have a Want to Buy forum where a user may post regarding items he or she would like to have. It is here: Want to Buy. It is worth while quoting the general policy for using the Want to Buy forum:

"Each user who wants to use this forum may create ONE thread where they may post descriptions of horologically related items they want to buy. Your thread can contain multiple posts, with one item per post. All discussions and transactions must be conducted privately, e.g. by PM/Conversation, Email, or social media. Only you will be able to post in your thread, other users cannot post replies. You have full edit permission for your thread including the title and all posts. You may edit your posts to add information or make corrections, or delete a post when you no longer need an item. To help sellers find your requests please include selection(s) from the Prefix list in your title, and also brief descriptive terms for each item. These should be updated each time you add or delete a post. Detailed instructions for managing your personal thread are found in the "Want to Buy" thread in the Message Board Help & Notices forum."