• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Rockford 16s Dome Model 17 Jewel

Woolshire

Jan 26, 2005
Country
Region
Interesting watch here. It is marked 17 jewel and really does have all 17. I have been told this may be what is known as a grade 103X.

Greg,
What do you think? Any idea on production figures?

Attachments

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Jim,

Nice watch and thanks for the pics.

I haven't kept close track of the serial numbers for these 17 jewel dome model Rockfords, but my recollection is that they are widely scattered and not restricted to specific runs. I don't have any production estimates for them, but they show up with enough frequency that I wouldn't call them rare.

Around 1895 or so (and later), at a time when the Co. was in receivership, quite a number of mvts were upjeweled at the factory from 15 or 16 to 17 jewels (the period reference for this statement isn't close at hand...some 18s mvts were upjeweled to 21 jewels). I wonder if Rockford (or the receiver) knew what "grade" these were. Maybe they did assign a specific grade number for them, but since the Co./receiver was probably interested only in raising cash at the time, it may not have made any difference to them to do so.

Some of these mvts fall into grade runs shown in Rockfords serial number list, but a run of numbers doesn't necessarily translate into a bunch of mvts finished identically as a given grade. Cash was important, not grade number consistency.

All FWIW,

Greg

Woolshire

Jan 26, 2005
Country
Region
Thanks for the info Greg! :D
I personally haven't seen another one, and I really like these dome model 2-tone movements. I try to look at all I run across. (I think I have 4 now...the rest are 15 jewel).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent